Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-09-14 2:35

Hello Mariusz,
B&W makes this look much older than it is. There is very little to reveal this is from the 21st century. I remember you mentioning to someone that Lund cathedral is smaller than many Polish village churches, but you should bear in mind that it was built by the Danes. There are originally Swedish cathedrals much larger. ;-)
Regards,
Gert

Old 09-14-2021, 10:51 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: 20th century and weather

Hi Gert,
Yes I was a bit disappointed with the cathedral, and indeed it is probably smaller than the parish church from my hometown which I recently showed but the way I see it now is mainly that I had quite a bad luck for the weather there, hence the quality got even worse than it could be.
I am very much weather sensitive and it the skies are grey I hate everything I see. Two weeks ago I have seen some beautiful cathedrals in Bath and Bristol but the weather was rubbish. Same on my recent trip to Madeira, I had poor luck with the weather. These days though, knowing that already, I am able to separate the actual beauty from the light I see it in. So I can appreciate that Madeira is a beautiful island with stunning sights and nature, it is just that I was not able to see it in a good light.
I say that because I have seen later the photos of Lund Cathedral on a good weather day and it looked impressive.
British say the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That is probably true, but there is an objective element to it as well: the light, which we even amateur photographers can already appreciate.
So it is not necessarily that I wanted to tease you in the past

I am glad my "rendering" added an ancient touch to the photo
By the way, since the photo was taken in 2000, it was strictly speaking not the 21st century yet
"the 20th century comprises the years 1901 to 2000 in strict usage"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century

Kind regards,
M
Old 09-14-2021, 11:52 AM
TE Expert

So you actually celebrated the arrival of the new century and millennium during the night to 1 January 2001? Did you stubbornly refuse any celebration of the year 2000? ;-)
Old 09-14-2021, 12:58 PM
TE Expert

I thought it was a celebration of a round number rather than a start of new century
M