To Royaldevon: Your questions - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-07-13 6:29

Hello Paul,

I immediately followed the boardwalk, trying not to wobble into the water to reach the cabins! It is a really well composed photograph! I like the close-up, too, which almost feels like straying into someone's back garden.

I have always wondered whether these houses are fixed by a village group of whether the intended home-owner just sets about doing it himself. Would planning permission be required!
Also, I wonder if the the supports are inspected. It must be quite exciting living in such a situation but not if the 'legs' should break at any point!

Have a good day,
Bev :-)

Old 07-13-2020, 09:40 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Your questions

Thank you Beverley,

Difficult questions to which I don't know the exact answers ...
I assume that every family is responsible for repairs to their own home. But that agreements have been made for repairs to common parts (bridges, walkways). Like there are common parts in an apartment building in western countries.

No idea how the common parts here are checked. But of course there is a community that has common interests to defend.
Patau-Patau wasn't the largest village on stilts I have visited. I have been in a much bigger village in Bandar Seri Begawan in Brunei.
I do remember that in both places I also saw walkways where wooden planks had disappeared and where I went no further.
In general, the walkways were fine. There were also cyclists and even motorcyclists.
Less well-off families in Malaysia may not have a car, but often a motorbike.

PS: I have not been there in the dark

All the best !
Paul