Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
TE Newbie

Unhappy Best DSLR for beginners

Hi,

I want to buy DSLR of Nikon or Canon, kindly suggest me which is better and why? And I want to spend $ 750
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
TE Newbie

Hello from Canada.
I went through this decision years back looking for my first DSLR and ended up with an Olympus. I presently have a Nikon D90 though. In my opinion the Nikon color processing provided a more vibrant image without post-processing, however I believe the Canon provides a more detailed image (though a little flat for me.) Its really a matter of taste.

I would suggest you look at many photos from the models you are interested in on web-sites like TrekEarth and Flickr that allow searching by camera models. Most of these photos are not heavily post-processed (adjusted after in Photoshop) so it will give you an idea what to expect out of the camera.

I think if I had the $750, I would seriously look at Olympus - one of the E-Volt series such as E-520. They are a good value and very flexible. The only reason I went to Nikon was I wanted to go back to the 35mm aspect ratio and the image quality is better at higher ISOs. I found operating the Olympus more intuitive. I know that Nikon / Canon gives you a better range of lens, but frankly I was really happy with the Olympus lenses and more third-party lens are becoming available for the 4/3 system.
You can find my photos from both the Nikon D90 and Olympus E-1 at:
http://dave.rd123.ca or
http://www.trekearth.com/members/daveRen/photos/

Thats my $.02 - hope this helps ...... Dave
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
TE Newbie

Hello Satish,

Today, all cameras entry-level offering very good performance and excellent image quality, some brands either.

You have already defined the limits of your budget, so now in this limit you must find the appropriate camera, and it is best to make different cameras in hand, and with whom you'll see the best feelling.

He must also think that before this camera you must put one or more lenses to take pictures, so it will define your needs based on your photographic practice, and how you want it spent.
To begin to buy the kit camera + 18-55mm, is usually a bargain to boot.

For information, in your price range, there is a very good Pentax littlecamera in the entry level, the K-r, which replaces the very good K-x.

Otherwise at:
- Canon EOS 550D.
- Nikon D3100, and if you can find the D90 priced'll certainly decrease due to the output of the D7000.
- Sony Alpha 33 and Alpha 55, but they have electronic viewfinders.

With Olympus the problem is the durability of the mark in the world of SLR, as it seems, they want above all to develop their range μ4 / 3 mirrorless. So I do not board too.

These are only guidance, the final choice you come back, but I remain at your disposal if you need additional information.

Sincerely, Dino.

Last edited by dino94; 11-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you Dino for your suggestion & finally I decided to buy Nikon d 3100 which is best for beginners with a guide mode.

Satish
Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you Dino for your suggestion & finally I decided to buy Nikon d 3100 which is best for beginners with a guide mode.

Satish
Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
TE Newbie

Hello Satish,

excellent choice, we now expect photos of your corner of the universe.

Sincerely, Dino.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM
TE Newbie

thanks for the info! i really find it very helpful thanks again