Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2020-04-21 4:29

Hello Gert,

You have given us a fascinating and very informative note about this rather nice part of East Berlin and two very appealing photographs of what looks like a very pleasant residential area.

Your main image, of course, includes some graffiti which is perhaps not of the best artistic quality but the young couple with child, pram and dog appear relaxed.

But I confess I much prefer your workshop picture of an area of park land, dominated by a huge and beautiful tree with some very tasteful modern buildings in the background and with groups of young people sitting on the grass relaxing and conversing in the very pleasant weather.

Both images are of excellent quality too with lots of detail and good natural colours. I appreciate the link to the larger version of your main picture but I was actually more interested in looking at a larger version of your workshop image - which I was easily able to do - because I was intrigued by what appeared to be a rather strange but very interesting yellow bicycle (or maybe tricycle) behind the couple in the foreground - it seems a long machine, maybe a tandem, and perhaps has accommodation for a child or small person in front of the cyclist. Very interesting!

Excellent!

Take care.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: bike

Thank you John for showing my photos such interest.
I think the yellow bike is some kind of "recumbent bicycle", which you can read about here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle
There are obviously several varieties. I see the very low kind now and then. They can reach quite impressive speed without the cyclist exhausting himself (or 'herself' of course, but this kind of bike seems to attract mainly men).
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 04-21-2020, 04:04 PM
TE Expert

Default Strange bike.....

Thank you, Gert, for your reply. Yes, I had wondered if it might be one of those "recumbent bikes". I've seen lots of photographs of them and I've seen them on T.V. and the internet before but I'm not sure that I've ever seen one in reality. people around here tend to ride "conventional" bikes or the heavier mountain bikes, especially on country tracks and hills.

I've looked at all the images on the Wikipedia page to which you added a link - but this bike in your picture doesn't really seem to fit in with any of those either! The saddle looks just like an ordinary saddle and the pedals appear in the normal position in relation to that saddle, whereas the front wheel must be around two metres from the back one and there's lots of metal tubing in between with what looks like space either for a passenger or luggage (where there's what looks like a green and white striped towel).

Anyway, I shouldn't worry - but it was just something that intrigued the technical side of my weird mind!

Kind Regards and thanks again,

John.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Bike

Hello both

I reckon it's a tandem, with the towel over the front saddle. It appears to be motorised: that black area may be an engine, or an electric motor. And it seems that the handlebars have been removed, probably for reasons of security...

Will
Old 04-23-2020, 10:44 AM
TE Expert

Default ? Tandem.....

Hello Will and Gert,

Thank you, Will, for continuing to discuss what was probably quite an irrelevant point which I raised with Gert's workshop image!

Yes, the idea of this contraption having been a tandem did cross my mind - as also did the possibility that the black "lump" might have been some sort of motor. Perhaps we shall never know.

But can I tell you both something (which you might already know!) which I can vividly recall learning from my Latin teacher probably about 60 years ago? It concerns the word "tandem" which we all happily use, especially for describing a two seater bicycle. The Latin word "tandem" is an adverb meaning "eventually", "in the end" or "at length" and was first applied sometime in the 18th century as a joke (by someone who presumably had some knowledge of Latin) to a pair of horses harnessed in single file (i.e. "at length") rather than side-by-side. Anyway, I've always thought that was a fascinating (if useless) fact!

Take care.

Kind Regards to both of you,

John.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:52 PM
TE Senior Member

Wonderfully useless!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:55 PM
TE Expert

I completely agree with Will.

Gert