Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2020-02-10 3:06

Wow, I had no idea that the Arctic Circle moved so often. That means that when I reached it in 2007 I may not have even been there... :-O until my trip to Tromso 4 years later... ;-)
As for the story of the island's name - it says more about humans than about geography.
Beautiful light and colours and the monument makes for an interesting silhouette on the canvas of orange sky. The moon was almost full indeed that day and while I was checking that - it was just before sunrise, wasn't it? You are now going to tell me "you have too much time Kasia, go back to working full time or concentrate on your own photography"... :-D
I believe you took this image during a cruise? Would you ever sail those waters in your own boat?
Best wishes
Kasia

Old 02-12-2020, 03:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To kasianowak: Moon

Hi Kasia

What is it with you and moons? At least this time you didn't catch me out cheating, as you may remember you did some years ago when I "inflated" the moon in a b/w image of Bruges! I don't know about "just before sunrise", but it was certainly early morning, and in October you get very long sunrises and sets in these latitudes. You have too much time, Kasia...

You're right: this was taken from the Hurtigruten post boat "Spitsbergen" heading back south to Bergen from Kirkenes. I would theoretically sail my own boat in those waters, preferably in Summer, but getting her there would be a mission. I've sailed across the Channel many times (about 80 miles), the North Sea to Holland (more like 130 miles) and from Cork across the Irish Sea (170 miles), but from Gosport to Northern Norway must be in the region of 1000 miles and would take a couple of weeks at least. I haven't got the stamina, nerve or time for that!

Will