Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-11-04 10:59

Hello Gert,
In Stockholm they have provided electric kick bikes in many different colours. That will make the choice of the very young a bit more difficult.
I notice that all kick bikes are nicely upright. They're even standing in two rows.
Very disciplined of those who left them behind. In Belgium I often see them lying criss-cross on the ground. But I remember from a previous note that you didn't quite agree with the disciplinary behaviour of the kick bike users in Stockholm.
The young mother can hope that her little one will also drive carefully with the kick bike later on, because fatal accidents have already happened with us. Excessive speed was the cause.
Best regards, Paul

Old 11-04-2021, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: criss-cross

Thank you Paul,
It used to be normal to find these bikes lying criss-cross in the streets, but there has been such outrage at this among politicians and "the public" that the bike companies are step by step being forced to clean up their business. There are now many special bike stands and the companies seem to collect abandoned bikes more regularly. It's still only marginally better, but there has been some improvement during the autumn.
Regards,
Gert
Old 11-04-2021, 11:06 PM
TE Expert

Hi Gert,

In any case, it's good that the bike companies care about the opinion of the public and politicians.
I fear that in Belgium they will only respond when they are obliged to.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 11-05-2021, 04:52 PM
TE Expert

The Stockholm city council will decide on Monday that the number of kick-bikes in the city will be halved (from roughly 24.000 to 12.000), more than half of the companies involved in the business will be banned and that the remaining ones will have to pay a fee for every bike. It remains to be seen if this will be challenged in court or if any central state authority will claim that this contravenes the principle of free enterprise.
Have a nice weekend,
Gert
Old 11-07-2021, 10:50 AM
TE Expert

The final result could set a good example for other cities in the world.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:05 AM
TE Expert

Some cities already have stricter rules. In for instance Copenhagen these bikes are banned from the central areas and can only be deposited at specifically arranged places. The owners have to pay about 50 Euro for every bike they put on the street and they are fined about 30 Euro for every one left in a wrong place.
Have a nice Sunday,
Gert