Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-06-30 13:57

Hello Mariusz,
Despite the clouds, I still find this a very spectacular landscape to hike.
The people we see here can only undergo this grandiose environment as themselves insignificantly small.
Seeing your photos, I'd like to go back someday to this magnificent island in the Atlantic.
At the time I had a good walking book (in English) with about 20 routes mapped out of which we only did 4 (four long hikes that took each the better part of a day followed by a sightseeing day each time to recover a bit).
I don't understand dat I could have walked in a different direction. I just had another look at the Google map of Madeira and the eastern peninsula has only one trail that loops at the end and then you return along the same path.
Further east than that loop you arrive at the end of the peninsula and you can't go any further. Behind it there is another elongated island that I have not been to (and which you probably cannot go on).
I don't understand what other tour the Ponta de São Lourenço can have.
Best regards, Paul

Old 06-30-2021, 09:57 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: direction

Hi Paul,
Based on your photo I thought you went more to the north west rather than to the north east. By north west I mean this spot:
32.749350, -16.706847
Ponta do Rosto.
It seems to be the most popular view point there.

Unless you went indeed to the north east because I do see a little oasis there as well:
32.742346, -16.683179
Casa do Sardinha.
Is that what you meant by the picnic area?
When I was getting this way it was heavily raining already so we decided to turn back.
Kind regards,
M
Old 07-02-2021, 06:49 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

Yes, it was near the Casa do Sardinha that the picnic area with tables and chairs was provided for walkers on the Ponta de São Lourenço.

But we couldn't have a picnic there because there were hundreds of starving lizards that actually jumped on the visitors. Never before have I seen such behavior from a lizard. Usually they are very shy.

Kind regards,
Paul