Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-14-2003, 01:58 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Ugly Photos

I've been a little addicted to this site this week, perusing pics of places I have been and places I want to go. Thing is, all (well ok, most) of the pics on this site seem to attempt to capture the "pretty." Where is the ugly, the gritty?

I'm guilty of this too, but hey if we are going to learn about the world in pictures let's see the dark side too.

Next time I'm on the road I'm going to try to start looking for that type of pic: the beautifully ugly.

That said, I like purr-ty pictures too. :)
Old 11-14-2003, 02:31 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Ugly Photos

Well one answer is that the ugly ones end up in the bin or suffer an instant delete. Photography has a transforming effect (the camera always lies) & good light, composition and an eye for colour can easily make a striking image from typical third-world poverty,dirt and chaos. Trussed up live pigs on the roof of the bus & all that. I guess what I don't photograph is that which is most westrnised in the places I visit. Anyway, I got all the gritty and ugly I need live 24 hrs a day in London's beautiful Hackney. Where do you live? Photograph there! Or come to Hackney.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Hmmmm...

Dirty places?... Ugly?... Hmmm

I think those things are represented here... Junkyards... abandoned houses, factories, cars, boats, ships and people.. Not ugly enough?...

How about butchered dogs, animals deficating, pollutonion, urban graffiti... still not enough?

How about spiders, worms, beetles, spiders... big yucks from some people.

I think all those things are here, but sometimes you have to dig... Perhaps a group theme on the subject might spur some interest and pull together some of these elements.....
Old 11-14-2003, 02:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Default New Theme.. Uglier, grittier side of life

I spent about 5 minutes and created a theme for the less attractive side of life.. (not for bad photos) Perhaps someone else would care to add to this theme?

The uglier, grittier side of life
Old 11-14-2003, 02:58 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: New Theme.. Uglier, grittier side of life

Good job nmess! You're right the ugly is in there, you just have to look for them. I guess what I should have wrote was that I wanted more of them, there are just soooooo many sunsets, flowers, smiling children, etc (hahaha) out there. Bring on the Uglies!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:23 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: New Theme.. Uglier, grittier side of life

I think youre right, its good to represent the other side of life instead of being "happy and fluffy" all the time, I havent posted much recently plan being I`m attempting a series of photo's on "plight" urban depression etc... and in answer to the other chap who says "come to hackney" I will be (the Nightingale estate is an area I have in mind for some great shots) oh and yes I`m very guilty of posting the happy and fluffy shots.

Regards to all TE members.

Tim.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:09 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm with you. The problem is, presenting the uglier side of life doesn't garner many points ... it's the pleasing picture of a door or window, well balanced and follows the rule of the thirds with the horizon straight etc. that receives the points. And points are nice ... :-) oops :-(.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:04 AM
TE Newbie

Here's one for your theme:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Cambodia/photo17369.htm

Rather than "ugly" I'd describe the difference as journalistic rather than postcard photography.

It is important to balance postcard photos with photos that tell stories and show life as it is. I wish that this site did a better job of that balance. (In the critiques as well as the photos).

-Adam #2 :-)
Old 11-14-2003, 03:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Guys
If you allow me, I would like to give my personnal oppinion about this. See, some days ago, I've been at a huge art expo that's occuring at my city, Porto Alegre. It's the Mercoul's Arts Biannual, and there were so many paintings and photographs about the "ugly"as you call. I got out of there feeling reaaly bad, depressive. Maybe we're so surrounded by poverty, fear, death and negligence with other human beings and animals that we appreciate to see beauty some places. I don't think this must be the only way to face it, but I do give "smilies" to something that pleases me, and eventually, to something that has value itself and makes me think.
Well, that's just an oppinon. We see the dirty and the ugly all around us, every time. Isn't good to see beauty some times (or some places)?
Regards

Mathias
Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Well, I tried for "ugly" today. What'ya think?