Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-07-2003, 05:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Why don't my photos look as good on TrekEarth?

If you've ever wondered why your photos look wonderful in PhotoShop (or whatever processing software you use) and 'not quite' as good after you post them, it could be a case of the browser not having adequate color support.

For more information, take a look at <A HREF="http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html?tw=design">this article</a>.

An inability to correctly display all the colors in your original image will not only affect the color, but the contrast and sharpness as well. If you have real problems, try upgrading your browser, but all in all, don't worry too much. It's not TrekEarth's fault, it's just a browser thing.

Ron.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Why don't my photos look as good on TrekEarth?

That's got nothing to do with it - that article is a discussion of low colour depth systems, and only mentions 24-bit/true colour briefly (as being "fine"). Anyone viewing a photo critiquing site like TrekEarth in 16-bit or lower has more problems than merely requiring a websafe palette IMO ;-)

The only difference between TrekEarth, and your images in Photoshop is that most browsers don't support ICC profiles. So, if you're using an ICC and your monitor is unusually calibrated you'll run into problems. If you're not using colour matching then your images should be identical to the preview in SaveForWeb.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 PM
TE Newbie

A possible answer.....If youre using AOL it automatically compresses graphics so that webpages can download quicker...you need to turn this option off. You can do it through Internet Explorer under "internet" and "options"
Old 11-08-2003, 02:16 AM
TE Junior Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying that this has nothing to do with it Adrian. The article is quite clear in this respect. Profiling (or lack of) will obviously cause issues as well, but a poorly calibrated monitor introduces two variables into the equation, which invariably makes finding the true culprit even more difficult.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:43 PM

The problem highlighted in that article only affects users running in a screenmode with less than 24bit/TrueColor. Since all modern GFX cards should run in 24bit (or 32bit) mode it is utterly irrelevant. No-one doing any photo editing should be using anything less than 24bit colour.

The whole article is discussing how colours are displayed on lower bit depth systems.

We are talking about the same article about Web Safe Colors that you've linked, aren't we?