Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default If you had to decide........

Just imagine......

If you you were only allowed to own one camera body and up to two lenses (of the equipment you CURRENTLY OWN - this is NOT a 'wish list'), which would they be and why?

I've just had a bit of a clear out of some stuff I haven't used for a while but of which I was very fond. I thought I'd miss the equipment that has gone - but I don't. In fact, the equipment I've acquired as part of the trade is seeing more use than the old stuff ever did. More than my digital gear at the moment.

For what it's worth, my choice would have to be my D200 with Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 and Nikkor 80-200 f.8 lenses as they've served me faultlessly. I know I've been waxing lyrical about film lately, but I'm also a realist and believe that over time, I'll probably shoot more digital than film.

I know we don't HAVE to make such a choice but which way would you go......?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: If you had to decide........

Interesting hypothetical question Paul. I'm sure a lot of us would benefit from having a clearout, although like you I'm having trouble getting rid of certain items that I hardly use anymore but to which I still have an irrational attachment - like my F80 and standard zoom. Haven't used them in months. I tend to use my little D40 these days when I want a lightweight camera to take along 'just in case'.
I often like to go out with just one body and one lens, and when I do so my choice is usually a medium wide-angle - 35mm f/2D on the F6 or 28mm f/2.8 AiS on my FM2.
As we're to be allowed one body and TWO lenses, there's no question of what my choice would be - F6 with 17-35mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Paul, are you sure you wouldn't prefer the 70-200 2.8 VR over the 80-200mm? I know I would!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 AM
TE Senior Member

Hey, Paul,
that's a great question. I have bought 6 lenses, two of which I probably use most of the time. I would definitely keep my 18 - 200. That I use for nearly everything. And I would keep my prime 85mm f1.8. The rest of them have given me great shots, but for general purpose?? 18 - 200 is the one. And if I had lots of money?? I'd have a bunch more I seldom use...lol
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 AM
TE Junior Member

sorry! I didn't read the bit about...this is not a wish list!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
TE Newbie

If I could only have one camera body I would be hard pressed to decide between my P&S Canon SD800 and my EOS30D. I like the SLR for sure but I go so many places on my dirt bike where it would be completely impractical to carry the SLR, I wouldn't want to lose the P&S.

That's probably not what you meant though so I would keep the 30D with the 10-22 zoom and the 17-85 zoom because of the range that gives me, I rarely take long zoom pictures but am often in narrow canyons and other tight spots where the wide angle is helpful.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
TE Senior Member

Primes are fun, zooms convenient... So I'd go with 350D+17-70mm for convenience, although more and more I take my 50mm only.