Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great gneufeld 2007-11-05 8:08

Hi Pat,
Just noticed your gallery a few day ago and will be watching it with great interest. Am curious about your technical applications in a general sense. Without disclosing your trade secrets, does your editing include additional saturation or other color modifications because to my untrained eye, some of the colors appear somewhat unnatural? Would appreciate your comments. As to this photo, I am impressed by how you use time exposure techniques to capture the movement of water. Great shot and thanks for sharing on TE. Gerald

Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default To gneufeld: Hi Gerald

Thank you for your great comment. To answer your question. there is many process into getting this image. First waiting for the right light..that is the most important part of it. Also creating an interesting composition that is pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately this can be thought to a certain degree. Then the use of tripod since all image taken in low light (dusk and dawn) it is a must. Forget about hand handling over 1 sec exposure. Then you have the filters to balance the shot, Grad ND, Full ND to get extra exposure time and create that dreamy effect that many think it is all photoshop. Polarizer (high Quality) to add an extra kick in colors & remove glare, Warming filter on occasion to give that extra warmth to a scene. I always try to do all the work on the field..more pleasing than spending hours in front of your cpu post processing them. Also long exposure shots (Over 5 sec) tend to have various color shifts in certain situations and can produce very painting like results but in certain cases very very pleasing results ( depending on your taste). I have had a lot of people with me on photo assignment, impressed to see the results of a shot right after I have taken it. I often get the comment, I always thought it was all done in PS. Once the photo is taken and imported into CS3. I will adjust contrast, clarity, saturation, levels, curves, (to dodge and burn areas)and sharpness. Nothing will be added or removed from any of my shots except from sensor dust and occasional scratches on filters. Like you can see I am an avid lover of colors, before in my film days i used to shoot with Kodak VS and Fuji Velvia. Two films that had as a main characteristic to add life and kick an extra kick to colors. All that process are all thing that were possible to do in conventional darkroom but have gotten a lot easier with time and all this without breathing all those chemicals for hours. Hope this helps and thanks again for your comment