Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: to siolaw

thats strange,

when i google that text the first item is herves photo, and then the fifth search result is the trek earth link to herves photo.

anyway, my point was -- there are several people who get mass amounts of views and its because the name they have chosen for their photo happens to coincide with a common search that people do with google.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 AM
TE Expert

Indeed, but peple still have to open the thumbnail to count as a view. Give back to caesar.....:-)

Actually I saw a B&W TL picture there, with the same title, first google page too, but less than 5000 views.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 AM
TE Expert

Hi Herve
According to which country you are in, google gives different results... in many places if you type ' bangkok punk ' (only 61 000 views ;D) you'll find my picture on top of first page, but in some countries, it comes only in third or so...
Not coming to Bangkok?
Laurent
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
TE Expert

Not coming to Bangkok?
---------------------
In a sec, if I could and could divide myself in 2! I was thinking of our evening with Kevin, there is nothing better than being with friends in aplace that you love (Thailand, not Patpong, though 15 years ago, I might have said something different!). Anyway, travel is always around winter for me.

You are right about google. If I google my name in SF or in France, the other HB gets second place in France. Though he's more famous than me. I've got better net muscles, I guess! :-)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Just an observation & PLEASE- NO POINTS...

Hello Dan,
Please Sorry my very bad english!
OK with what you say (if I understand well!). I have say the same thing many times but I think that it is not possible here, on TE, to say that because it'is not "politicaly correct" and the "happy few" of TE do not like at all those who is coming to disturb a little the "system".
Sorry .
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
TE Senior Member

Cedric,
It's perfectly OK to say something politicaly incorrect and to belong to the few happy. I have discovered that there is actualy a large community that is like Dan, it's not that 'few' after all.
All is OK, as long as it is done with respect for the other. I think that that is the biggest difference of TE compared with other sites. We can disagree, but we do it with a smile(y) (or two :-)
Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 AM
TE Junior Member

I used to create this type of thread before when I first joined TE. After a while I found it a fun place to visit. My first thing when I open my Internet Explorer is TE. Acording to my experience, if a picture is really good, then you will have tone of critiques in just less than 30mns. If it is not good then, the points will come from our friends. So for me, if I get 20 points in abt 30mn, then I conclude that my picture is good.

It is not that TE has this disadvantage of the point system, but it is about HUMAN NATURE which values reciprocal relationships: You help me, so I will help you.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 PM
TE Newbie

I have been a member of TE for several years, but have not participated in the site for some time, for the reasons given in this forum. I don't consider myself sufficiently profiient to give 'in depth' critiques, thus when the ruling changed a year or so ago I gave up writing them, with this my points virtually dried up.
Perhaps the best way to stop people chasing points is to have a limit on the number of points a photo can obtain, whilst at the same time allowing constructive critiques to continue. It is quite possible that this would deter those with poor photos to stop putting them on the site. What do you think, or has this already been suggested?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 AM
TE Expert

What do you think, or has this already been suggested?
------------------------------------------------

Yes, Doreen, everything has been suggested actually. The site being a resounding success, there was little reason to change anything, whether the point system is considered flawed or not.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Dan, you've been on TE long enough that I'm surprised to see this kind of silliness from you. "Sugar-coated" critiques are nothing new.