To four: SLR - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good four 2007-01-27 5:33

Hmmm... - FG looks out of focus - with bright conditions and SLR you should have been able to use smaller aperture and get good focus throughout.
Polarisers have their moments, but most of the effect can often be done better with software IMHO.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default To four: SLR

First time I have been able to use my SLR in anger since buying it (work, dark nights, blah, blah).
I used the pre-set landscape mode for this shot, I am still experimenting.
I am not a great fan of software post-processing - i used to tinker with my compact digital shots but am trying to utilise the benefits of an SLR camera. Still have a way to go though.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: SLR

I find full manual mode always gives best results - and definitely use RAW ideally.
Working with curves and levels on selected areas with software such as photoshop or Gimp(free www.gimp.org - my favourite too) is more effective with the files produced by SLR because they haven't had sharpening applied.
Compacts generally sharpen in camera which degrades the image irreversibly and causes areas to break up when you start pushing things.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To four: SLR

Colin,
While I agree with you that the effect of a lot of filters (warm up, colour balancing etc) can be replicated in post processing, that's not at all true when it comes to polarisers. Along with ND grads, polarisers are pretty much essential, more so with digital than film.
The effect of a polariser cannot be replicated digitally, and after all there's no substitute for getting it right in camera.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: polarisers

I can't agree they're essential with digital - sometimes useful, but what I really dislike is how much they darken a scene (or require you to open aperture/increase exposure to compensate)
Probably the only thing a polariser can do that I can't with Gimp is reduce glare on shiny water etc.
The effect of grads is also quite easy to replicate with software if you don't over expose your image.
Col