Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great milloup 2004-07-20 15:39

Cute and colourful little fellow, well placed in the frame. A spot of fill flash would probably have lit up the darker part of his chest, but focus is spot on.
Why were you photographing headstones, are you into genealogy or local history ? (I am ;-))

Old 07-21-2004, 01:54 AM
TE Newbie

Default To milloup: Answer

Yes. I've hundreds of headstones from Co. Down and Co. Tyrone on my website at www.billcardwell.co.uk, and my family tree.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To milloup: Answer

Hi Bill,
That sounds like quite a task you've set yourself, but once done it's a great ressource for other genealogists ;-))
I checked a few, and there seem to be many from the 1800s. Unfortunately, very few headstones this old are preserved in Denmark, most graves are discontinued (is that the correct term?) after 30 years, unless it's a family burial where subsequent generations are added from time to time. Some churches have an "old stones' corner" where stones are kept for a while longer, but they aren't under any obligation to do so, so it's just a question of luck if you find something worthwhile.
<A HREF="http://www.milloup.dk/bf/">My ancestors</A> are listed on this page together with some extracts from church registers. Most of the text is in Danish, but there's a brief introduction in English if you click on the American flag.
Best wishes,

Bente
Old 07-21-2004, 10:52 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To milloup: Answer

Hi Bente, your pages look pretty with the 'odd' (to me!) letters.
Here in Northern Ireland / Ulster gravestones are never disturbed. We have so few old records that the inscriptions are very important to us.
I never knew they were removed after a time, in any country.
Bill