Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good dawekato 2004-05-12 22:52

Very nice colours, Catherine and the composition is pleasing. I think the frost patterns could be a bit sharper. If you have a macro lens you can do some extreme close-up work with window frost for stunning results. I wonder what the second source of light on the outside is.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:34 AM
TE Newbie

Default To dawekato: Thanks!

I'm a new comer and it's nice to have a comment so fast. Concerning the use of macro lens, I did try taking the photo on macro but that required a tripod and I could not get close enough to the window. Do you have any solution to that? The spot of light you sEe on the left is from a lamp post across the street.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To dawekato: Thanks!

Try using the tripod as a monopod, with the legs collapsed and leaning against the window sill. Or, get a tripod that can be made short enough to sit on the window sill. Some tripods have clamps you can attach to one of the legs for close-up work. Maybe moving a table close to the window can hold your tripod with the camera. You have to get inventive. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default Macro with Coolpix 4500

Hi Catherine, thanks for a lovely photo. I'm quite new to TE as well and don't have the time to look at TE as often as I'd like!
I've had success with my 4500 just handholding in macro mode using extended fingers on the 'taking surface' to steady the camera (multiple attempts costing no extra in digital), I've also used one of those mini flexi-leg tripods (very cheap, <$8 US) which would work well on a window sill.
Also have you tried the BSS feature on the 4500 (best shot selector)? Find it in the shooting mode menu, noise reduction must be off or it won't allow BSS. In this mode you can take a whole series of images by holding down the shutter release and after you stop shooting pictures, the camera will only save the image containing most detail i.e the sharpest. Opinions vary as to how accurate the camera's choice is but it certainly speeds up the whole process of taking multiple shots and choosing the best later on the PC (and preserves the memory card for other shots at the time of picture taking).
Sorry if you knew about this already!