Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
TE Newbie

Default Eurail...

I'm planning on going to Europe later this year and buying a 2 month Eurail youth ticket. Their website isn't to clear on a few areas, so I thought I'd ask here.

What rails does this cover? do they have their own dedicated rail system, or do I get on ANY train for free?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Eurail...

Hello Kevin,

I use to be an avid interail (ancestor of the Eurail) traveler when I was younger. I don't know if much has change since my last trip 13 years ago but in those time the rule were:
- You could only buy the card in the country where you were leaving (if you were leaving in europe)
- It is valid on all the railway system that have agreement between each others (in my time, all state own railway systems plus few private)
- You could get on any train for free except on the railway system of the country where you bought the card. In this case had to pay 50% of the ticket price (That's why my first train journey was always to Bruxelle as the belgian border is the closest from Paris.
- You still had to pay for sits and couchette reservation.
- Some trains were subject to supplements that you had pay (Eurocity, Intercity trains)
- To get into some trains, a sit reservations is mandatory (ie: French high speed train TGV)
- You may or may not have to paid extra if the train goes through a ferry boat (but you'd get discount if you have to pay)

That's what I remember from it

I really miss traveling this way. I've met a lot of people traveling through Europe with interail just like me in those years. We would arrange meeting in some cities. If some coudn't make it we would left messages grafitti for them at the railway station in the automatic left luggage room telling where we would meet again. But what I really loved, was to get into railway station. Look at the departure board, choose a train almost randomly and hop in without giving much more thought. Just brilliant.

I really envy you.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
TE Expert

Well it seems that Eurail and Inter Rail are different passes. But they seems to work the same (haven't check them in depth though) except that Eurail is for non European traveler only and Inter Rail for Europeans or non Europeans who have lived at least 6 months in Europe.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
TE Expert

as Green i did 2 summer vacation of 3 months with the Interrail, in the 1987 and 1988. i think that is really changed. the only thing that i can write you is that is a fantastic way to travel, but only if you have a lot of time.

ciao