Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Adobe Photoshop

Worth getting? I have photoshop elements (5.0 i think)...

Is the full Photoshop worth getting in addition and what are the benefits? Is it more features or better quality of the features already there? For example, extra sharpening?

Sorry if this is a silly q, but i'm a bit of a beginner and happy to hear any thoughts...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Adobe Photoshop

Hi Richard,

I have Photoshop 5.0 Limited Edition. I have tried the full version as well. I have tried a lot of different programs including freeware ones. For working with my images I use ACDSee with its' very limited tools. I do use IrFanview and PhotoFiltre a lot (both freeware). I can do just about anything I need to with these programs.

I found that Photoshop, at least for me, was way too much software. I don't use layers when I am working with my images and I don't need 80 percent of the tools available in Photoshop.

The freeware programs give me a wide range of tools and they are very quick to use. The learning curve is not steep with these programs.

So Richard, all depends how in depth you want to get with a graphics program. :)

Good luck . . .

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 09:15 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks Peter

I've recently d/loaded IrFanview but to be honest mainly use it for resizing. I'll have more of a pal about with that, see what it can do.

I'll have a look at the other freeware you mentioned as well...

Cheers

Richard
Old 02-09-2006, 10:07 AM

CS2 is a hugely powerful tool and with it you can probably convert anything into a piece of art! The only functions I use to any extent are Curves, Levels and Unsharp Mask. Very occasionally use tools to correct perspective.
I also use it to resize dimensions and file size.
If that is all you need it is probably available in other cheaper packages. That said, CS2 can be found on ebay at very low prices.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks, Keith. Upon reflection I think i'll try and learn to walk before I can run!

Spend time learning what I have before getting something else that'll sit unused on my desktop...
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Richard,

I have CS as opposed to CS2 and my PP has improved a huge amount as a result. So many plug-ins (freeware and $$) are created specifically for photoshop and the extent of tools available within the product are great. I probably couldn't have thought how much they'd benefit what I do before I'd actually tried.

Absolutely recommend it.

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 AM
TE Newbie

hahaha! Thanks, Adrian! I'd kinda made up my mind not to bother, but now i'm having doubts and reaching for my wallet...

Get Thee Behind Me, Satan...
Old 02-10-2006, 02:00 AM
TE Newbie

Sorry mate :-)

Adrian
Old 02-11-2006, 06:42 AM
TE Newbie

I have CS2 at work and Elements 2.0 at home, what I found is you can do most things in Elements that you can in Photoshop, except a few Automation tools (actions etc) as well as a few modes and channels like Lab color mode and Luminosity mode (used for some shapening technics) but there always seems to be a work around some how.
Bottom line is for home use Elements is fine just a little slower for bulk image processing.