Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-19-2003, 05:58 PM
TE Newbie

Default Polarizing filter

Yes, it adds crispness to the vertically hanging moss.
Seems to sharpen and define the edges of the moss.
This is one of those photos,that we often take, that don't seem to be very good at the moment but turn out great after processing and printing.
Lee Snook
Old 06-19-2003, 06:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Polarizing filter

Thank you Lee, we learn something new everyday. I do not know the polarizer can be use in this way.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
TE Expert

Thien, just to add uses about the polarizer. It cuts the light reflections on any reflective material such as water (even vaporized), glass, metal or ...leaves.

However, it's of almost no use except lose 1 1/2 stop when you shoot right in front of the light source ,-obviously because the reflections are eclipsed BEHIND the subject you're shooting at-, and maximum efficiency when you shoot when the light is coming from behind your back. (but I'm sure you knew that. Just writing that because I've seen here some photos -not of yours actually- using a pola with random effects.)

The problem is that too often photographers shoot open sky with a wide angle and a sun light at narrow angle, left or right. That makes IMHO an ugly effect with a faded blue sky nearer to the sun light and a dark sky further on.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 PM
TE Senior Member

> This is one of those photos,that we often take, that don't seem to be very good at the moment but turn out great after processing and printing.

Actually it's usually the other way around for me. The scene usually looks great in reality but turns out dull and uninteresting in a photo.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Thank you Luko for a very good lesson on how to properly use a polarizer. I used to use a polarizer a few years ago when I first started taking pictures but did not know much about it except it darkens the blue sky :). Thank you for putting back on the right track.