Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-01-2004, 09:04 AM
TE Expert

Default New Site Info

There is a now a new photo site (TrekLens) based on the TE code, with a less stringent tos compared to TE.

Check out www.treklens.com to see it in action.

Please consider posting images which may not be appropriate for TE to this new site. If there are any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Offloading some images to this site instead may also help to lower the number of submissions to TE which may be a solution instead of lowering the uploads to 1 per 2 days.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: New Site Info

Congratulations on another genial idea so well executed. Just checked it it's great.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:47 PM
TE Expert

Adam,

First congrats for your -new- virtual newborn.

From the postings I've seen today on TrekEarth there's a promotion effort to be made on TrekLens'launch.

Could it be something -a few words and a link- that would be displayed for instance on the upload page (maybe there is one, but as I am already at a one upload every 4 days rate ;D, I haven't opened it yet...).

I also think a link to TrekLens -at temporarily for the first month- from the left side of the pages would be great in order to promote the other site.

What's your policy now for new images we think they don't fit into TE's purpose or TOS?
I began suggesting in my critiques that some images could be posted in TL but I don't really know where the objective limit (if you ask me, I would say half of what is posted belongs to TL, so don't ask me ;-D...).

This is a good idea too to encourage older shots to be moved to TL, of course it belongs to the member's will and appreciation, but it's a win/win situation for everybody I think.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:15 PM

Congratulations for the new site Adam!

Unfortunatly I haven't had much time to participate latelly in TE and I believe I'll stick with this site (more acording to my anthropological area) but TL is a great addition.

I agree with Luko about allowing moving certain photos that don't comply completly with TE TOS.

How about creating a link on the photos like "Report Violation" but to inform you, or the member that posted the photo is more adequate to TL objective?

Also believe the member should agree with the change. To make things less "painfull" to the member the allready registered critiques (on older photos) could be transfered to TL also.

The only question is how to identify the critiques made by members that are not registered in TL.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 PM
TE Expert

"Could it be something -a few words and a link- that would be displayed for instance on the upload page (maybe there is one, but as I am already at a one upload every 4 days rate ;D, I haven't opened it yet...).

I also think a link to TrekLens -at temporarily for the first month- from the left side of the pages would be great in order to promote the other site."

I have chosen a soft opening for TrekLens. The reason is to make sure that no major hiccups happen initially. Once the site proves to be stable, I will definitely add some links to TL to promote it some more.

"What's your policy now for new images we think they don't fit into TE's purpose or TOS?"

Well, I plan on changing the automated mails I send out after removing images which violate the tos. The new email will recommend posting such shots to TL instead.

Soon I will become more strict about the tos, especially about the 'studio-like' part, and encourage migration to TL instead for such shots.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:50 AM
TE Newbie

I would like to point out that I have just noticed one shot just uploaded on TL that has already been on TE for a couple of days. Surely that was not Adam`s intention when launching the new site.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:53 AM
TE Expert

"Surely that was not Adam`s intention when launching the new site."

I'm going to be updating the tos shortly noting that this is not permitted. Once this is done, I will remove one of the posts. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:30 PM
TE Expert

I will remove one of the posts.

On TL, I've come across picture that was already published in TE few month ago. But the author explain in his note that his picture wasn't very well welcome on TE as many thought it wasn't within TE spirit and so decided post it on TL when he had the possibility.
I think if someone post on TL a similar picture posted on TE, before deleting the picture, he should be asked why he did that if hasn't already explain it in his note.

Also if someone want to move a picture from TE to TL (or the contrary) maybe the first thing that he should do would be remove the original posting first. Of course he'll be losing points if the picture has any.

My 2 eurocents
Old 04-02-2004, 05:35 PM
TE Newbie

do we need to register on that site or our ID is valid there as well?

cheers
Old 04-02-2004, 06:29 PM
TE Expert

Yes, you need Lia, you also need to register with the same usernname if you want to take advantage of the userlink between TE and TL (a simple link that let you go from TE to your TL account).