Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photography in India

well... i have started to read around thsi subject, but havea few questions.
In august i will be starting a 2 year contract working in New Delhi. I have 1200 uk pounds of baggage allowance. I am thinking of bringing my dark room set up with me.. i.e. enlarger etc...

Are chemicals and paper easily available?

am i likley to experience any problems bringing stuff like that into the country?

I assume that i can buy black and white film there... but is itcheaper that the u.k? what sort of thing is available?
Old 06-04-2005, 08:35 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photography in India

Hi,
I lived in Delhi for 15 months and I set up my own laboratory in my kitchen. It was a great hobby.
BW films are easily available everywhere (they have Nova film, which in fact is Ilford), and I bought the enlarger in Old Delhi in the Photographers lane on Chandni Chowk.
The enlarger was poor quality, so better bring yours. Regarding chemical and papers, you will find everything needed for very cheap. I can't tell you if it is good quality, but they used to work with me !
Enjoy your stay !
Old 06-13-2005, 12:02 PM
TE Newbie

You get everything u need in New Delhi. B/W films like Nova, Kodak (one cheaper with color processing), Ilford etc and all chemicals, developing tanks, spools. Bringing your enlarger is a good idea because u won't be able to bargain with the used-things sellers and may land up buying a junk. But I think u don't need to bring in chemicals.
Regarding entry with all those stuff ask someone from your embassy to check with the Customs department at New Delhi. These customs people often act ridiculous since they don't have any idea of what is what.
Happy sojourn.
Cheers
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 AM
TE Newbie

cheers for the tips - sorry i haven't replied sooner.

I will be working at the British High Commission in new delhi, so that might give me a bit moer leeway with customs. (i don't know yet, still to find out)

I have an enlarger, and all the bits and bobs, plus they paying for my baggage, so i figure i should just bring my own stuff instead of buying it there.

Is there a big second hand camera market type thing in Delhi?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:00 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Daniel,
There are no markets earmarked as such as secondhand or used camera markets, but as in other cities of India, Delhi too has its own share of grey markets where you find both new and old cameras. When u get to delhi, let me know and I'll refer some photography enthusiasts who could lead u to proper places and protect u from being fleeced.
Cheers
Bikram