Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Highmountains 2015-08-09 10:08

As a photograph, this one is more appealing than the earlier one. The base on which the tower was constructed, and whatever is left of the tower is clear to the viewer.
The greenery and the beautiful sky makes it attractive to a traveler interested in ancient ruins and architecture.
I am, and hence my interest.
Thanks for sharing, Ken.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Highmountains: Observatory

First, for such a distinctive structure, I am surprised that INAH has not given it more attention. I say this in view of the fact that Chichen Itza attracts such a high volume of visitors. Moreover, the visitors pay an entry fee plus are hit with a surtax imposed by the governor - so what happens to this money? I am not exactly appreciative that visitors are not allowed to access any of the structures in the Central and Northern Groups. Plus, there is no access permitted to the structures that were restored about 6 years ago to the south of the Central Group - the true Chichen Viejo - including the Temple of the Phalli and of the Initial Series. INAH does not even show photos.

Second, it is not clear whether the collapse of the molding, and frieze above, on this side, is due to poor original workmanship or if there has been an earthquake at some time. If one looks carefully, I think there are three Chaac masks on the frieze, including one over the doorway in my photograph.

I thank you for your comments. Ken
Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Appreciate your concern, Ken.
I have some idea of what happens within the walls of the Archaeological Survey of India - the body that looks after and is responsible for care and restoration of all archaeological sites and buildings in India. And in India, there are a plenty.
The world and the educated people at large are hardly bothered. There is a definite lack of collective concern. The businessmen and archaeologists get away with whatever they do.