Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great R_Chevalier 2005-03-02 11:46

Nice shot andy. Reminds me of my diving trips. I am thinking about getting a waterproof case for my sony, but they are expensive. Was this taken with a disposable or your own camera in a case? Well done

Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 PM
TE Newbie

Default To R_Chevalier: Underwater case

Hi
This was taken with my Olympus digital camera (300) and an olympus PT-003 marine case(140). I specifically chose the camera because of the case, which was one of few olympus cases that was designed for deept water - most only go to 3 metres. I've taken this one to 37 metres. Of course, at 1.3mpixels, the camera is well out of date, but I'll still keep it for underwater photos.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To R_Chevalier: Underwater case

I've gone down to 30 metres before, but most colours disappear. How does the flash work at these depths? Does it scare the fish or do you have a light like a torch on at all times for shooting? I have some great and vivid memories from diving, and it would be great to have them as photos....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To R_Chevalier: Underwater case

Hi again
Yes, of course, a lot of colour correction has to be done afterwards. The Photoshop auto-levels works wonders but it doesn't go all the way. I didn't know about it while I was out there diving - I deleted some photos that I could have saved - including my only one of a shark that seemed invisible when viewing on the LCD. Oh well. The flash helps to provide some light as you go deeper but doesn't really help the colouring. The downside is that it reflects off specs of food and scales floating in the water, you'll see some in this photo. The fish don't mind it at all. I had a red torch for a cave dive which brought back some colour.