Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great trebuA 2011-11-24 14:46

Hello John,
A beautiful view with very attractive colors and sharp picture but imho I think the cyan tones of the background and sky are oversaturated. I hope you won't mind a little ws just to compare.
Regards,
Guy

Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To trebuA: Saturation..............

Hello Guy,

Thank you for your kind remarks about this one and thank you also for taking time to do a workshop for me on this picture!

I agree that the sky is perhaps just a little oversaturated and your workshop has corrected that very well. Actually, the day when I took this picture, I remember that the sky really was very blue, so the "real" picture should probably be somewhere between my picture and your workshop picture, if you know what I mean!

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello John,

Thank you for your kind reply, I appreciate.

As far as I know, there is no one (commercial) camera on earth which treats the dynamic range suitably. As possible results one can have overexposed highlights with correct shadows, correct highlights with underexposed shadows, color casts due to oversaturation etc...

You had here a saturation problem but nothing that cannot be recovered in post-processing. How much desaturation of the cyan cast is a matter of taste of course but to recognize and admit that there is a problem, that's the most important in my opinion.

If I suspect a problem with camera settings, I always choose for the right exposure of the highlights with (slightly) underexposed shadows, because overexposed highlights (such as clouds !) are irrecoverable.

Kind regards,
Guy