View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Main Page ramblings

The notes/no-notes discussion has been run before. The last time I recall, I think Adam was of the opinion that if you *force* people to write something then the quality will sink even further, or even more copy'n'paste notes will appear.

As for the front page, I actually do think it is randomly generated; based on certain criteria. The site admins won't share the specific decision information with us, as doing so will result in people trying to game the system (as happens daily with Flickr's Explore). Again I think this one's been discussed fairly extensively if you want to have a read of the older posts in the forums.

That leaves the question of why do certain images come up more than others? Anyone who's ever written (or used) a computer random number generator will probably know the answer... Most quick random number generator solutions aren't particularly random. I still remember asking my first computer to give me seven random numbers from 1-1000, and getting something like 3 3 3 5 3 6 3 ;)