The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips-Techniques (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leica M8 Digital SLR (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292862)

Luko 11-01-2006 09:08 PM

Re: m6

"This means that you never crop your leica shots, having decided excatly at the time of shooting what will be in and out, and is it something you would more likely do with your DSLR. The M8, will it be the 200% WF?"
Yes, that's the idea... but as I'm not a full frame ayatollah, in other terms, I would say that I crop less with my Leica than with a DSLR. For instance, the three last BW uploads were crop free, but it happens that I may lightly crop other images.

As for my dSLR final images, I'd say 9 out of 10 have had a crop, even the slightest, because I tend to shoot wider than I preview the result. I dont feel dSLR shooting like the rangefinder hunt, I take it more like bringing back some raw material to be finalized afterwards. If you look at my original dSLR shots, they usually are underexposed (because my biggest fear are the 255 255 255 white areas) and a bit too wide, as I like to pack the maximum detail in.

When I say 200% viewfinder, it's for some specific lenses like 50mm and above, but still you'd probably get 130% with a 35mm and 110% with a 28mm. Each lens triggers stretched lines into the viewfinder frame, you know that your scene is inside these lines. Luminous landscape review makes it implicit that the viewfinder is more than 1xx%.

You mean technical or psychological adjustments???
technical it should be : manual focus and manual exposure.
psychological : quite some... I suppose it's like the first time you're on a naturist camp (dunno never been on a nudist beach...).

Luko

kinginexile 11-01-2006 09:28 PM

thanks Luko again. But the M8 does have automatic focus and aperture possibilities, no? I am asking only because I think that shutter noise and size may indeed impair candid and spontaneous street/travel photography. I woke up a couple people with the 300D last winter, and thais usually sleep like a stone!!! Same with the size, there is a discretion about smaller size that does not have written all over you: I am a photographer and i take photos. If it changes the stance of/in a scene or a subject, you failed in capturing something extremely important, the more so, because it was a fleetng and unqiue moment. Well, I have no money for the Leica. The Ricoh (another brand too, which I forgot) sounds interesting, though. Are these quick reflex shutters like DSLR?

H

Luko 11-01-2006 10:45 PM

"But the M8 does have automatic focus and aperture possibilities, no?"
No AF... AFAIK...
Possibly aperture exposure, I dont know, it wasn't something the Leica appreciated on the M7.
Smooth shutter noise, a littel bit noisier than the cloth shutter of the analog M.

You probably forgot Epson's RD1s.. though I have no experience about this one.

Luko

Furachan 11-02-2006 01:23 AM

Herve, As a Ricoh man I can asnwer your questions about the GR Digital - extremely quiet (NO SOUND from the shutter), lens, a fixed 28mm (in 35mm terms) is top class, unfortunately it's noisy about iso 200, so it is absolutely NOT an avilable light jewel. You might be even happier with the more affordable, more flexible and beautifully designed Canon G7 that just came out (you get 35-200 zoom, starting at f2.8, plus better higher iso performance and, very significant, automatic blur control built-in. It is extremely well built in black metal with a retro look. I see it as a cheapie Leica for the street. An alternative if you must have a swiveling LCD would be the even more affordable but supposedly excellent Canon A640 (but no anti-blur).
Hope this helps...
Francis

kinginexile 11-02-2006 02:28 AM

Thanks Francis,

I do have the A610, but this is not for quick reflex shooting, as you know, and what i'd be in for, would still be a normal SLR box, albeit within the measurements of a Leica. It (A610) will be fun for little movie clips, and evening/dinner outs when i do not want to carry the DSLR. If the G7 is as responsive as a DSLR, and not too tiny, I may be interested at some point. But still very happy with the Canon XT, I just feel like a real hunter with it, not a discreet onlooker like HCB must have been. And it will be worse with the 5D...You really feel like shooting first and asking questions after with those! Well, thats' the idea, I guess. it is just better when you stay unnoticed after shooting, too, a confortable groove thru-out a day outing.

Furachan 11-02-2006 12:15 PM

The G7 is a stealthy street guzzling beat, my brother, trust me ;o) Or better still take a look at a few of my recent (last few days) postings with the G7, mostly B/W - to give you an idea...

nerve 11-03-2006 09:02 AM

Re: Leica M8 Digital SLR

looks like Constantin Manos is really enjoying to M8

<a href="http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/color.aspx">check it out! :)</a>

nerve 11-03-2006 09:07 AM

"... enjoying to use M8.." i was gonna say, lol!

nerve 11-05-2006 09:06 PM

sad news: looks like M8 is having serious banding problems.. :(
http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8672-banding-some-more-tests.html

lets hope they will fix it somehow..

Furachan 11-05-2006 11:24 PM

Let's hope they blody don't, otherwise we'll ruin ourselves!!!

nerve 11-06-2006 05:51 AM

i already did, lol!