The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips-Techniques (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leica M8 Digital SLR (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292862)

nerve 09-14-2006 05:52 PM

Re: Leica M8 Digital SLR

nope, all M leica lenses since 1954 will be compatible afaik..but they will some
some more information is here:

http://www.macandphoto.com/2006/09/english_transla.html

and also here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24248

maciekda 09-15-2006 12:58 AM

ok, the M8 has been announced. a detailed preview is available there: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/">http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/</a>.
it costs just 3000 pounds here in the UK. who will be the first M8 shooter on TE?

Luko 09-15-2006 01:15 AM

Maybe I'll wait for the M9, the M12 or the M23...

Rather than lurking at other cameras, Maciek, why don't you use that fine M6 which has been sitting on your shelf for about three months now? So you could practise archery meanwhile instead of mimicking Webb...

mlopes 09-15-2006 02:34 AM

Maciej
you have one M6 on your shelf gathering dust?
c'mon man... start shooting with that :)))

maciekda 09-15-2006 12:08 PM

m6

I will not buy the M8 either, too expensive, Kodak sensor, 1.33 crop, the digital M should mature before I buy it..
about my M6. yes, I got it, M6 TTL with a 50mm summicron. I also bought a 35mm summicron on ebay, but its condition was terrible, not as described, scratched and full of dust inside, I sent it back last week and waiting for money refund. I think I will stick to the 50mm lens for a while, at the begining it was too narrow for me, but recently I have been using 50mm lens on my 5D and I muust admit I like it very much - it teaches you some discipline with composition.
and about shooting with the M6. I am trying to be consistent with my images, don't switch cameras. all my photos from Cardiff are digital and in colour, let it be like that. I will use the Leica for some new work when I have an idea about a project. I did shoot 1 roll of cheap colour agfa film just to try the camera and I must say that all photos were well exposed, it was quite fun to adjust the thime and aperture manually, just once or twice I forgot to focus - my autofocus habits ;)
and I don't mimick alex webb, his photos are very inspiring but that's it. I don't mimick anyody, I get inspiration from many photographers, but I try to do my stuff

Luko 09-15-2006 12:45 PM

Re: m6

I will use the Leica for some new work when I have an idea about a project.

Just a bit of an advice FWIW : before you start right into getting a project using an M, you should accustom yourself with the rangefinder and the camera. One's need 2-3 months to understand what makes a camera different from the other one, if you think it's only a lens problem... it means there are things you have not seen yet.

in the meantime the images produced may not be as good as expected.

Another advice is that you stick to one lens... 35 and 50mm are much too close. IMO, you believe too much in technique, Maciek, photo is not an engine. It's not the lens that'll do the photo, it's you, hence dominate the rangefinder and one lens first until you can express yourself with that lens. See what happens afterwards.

maciekda 09-15-2006 01:02 PM

One's need 2-3 months to understand what makes a camera different from the other one, if you think it's only a lens problem... it means there are things you have not seen yet.

hm, not sure, a camera is just a tool, at least for me. with a leica all you have to do is to set the shutter speed and the aperture to get a correct exposure, focus and click, then rewind. it is just a slower process than with an autofocus digital camera.
and I am not sure I would take different pictures with a leica than with digital canons, the street photos from the only roll I shot were very similar in terms of composition to my digital photos, and there was nothing making them more special just because they were taken with a leica.
i don't know, maybe I will change my opinion later. but I must admit there is something special when you hold the leica and you take pictures with it

oochappan 09-15-2006 01:43 PM

a camera is just a tool

That was told to me too, not the tool that counts, the photo does when it conveys something outrising techniques ... techniques is only a plaything and who doesn't like to play with new toys ?

mimicking

anything that encounters you in a impressive way will involve some mimicking in your approach it could be Magnum, Bresson, Webb .... the environment that you chose will have an impact on you and you will reflect it, that's a tool too in the process of creativity, enlarge your environment, enlarge your creativity.

Luko 09-15-2006 04:09 PM

"a camera is just a tool, at least for me. with a leica all you have to do is to set the shutter speed and the aperture to get a correct exposure, focus and click, then rewind. it is just a slower process than with an autofocus digital camera.

...the street photos from the only roll I shot were very similar in terms of composition to my digital photos, and there was nothing making them more special just because they were taken with a leica."

Funny to hear you about the uselessness of "tools" from a guy who introduces himself as a camera and lens list.
There are tools and tools. Some toys roll and some toys rock. Why don't you use the basic 18-55 lens on your camera? Why did you need to go for the 5D?

A paintbrush and a paint spray can are doing the same jobs on the same media : painting, although you hold use them differently. Paint spray goes quicker and better for large surfaces, paintbrushes are more useful for precise work.

So that's what you think... after 1 roll... Here's my opinion after 7 years of using a rangefinder camera and some more years of SLR (or dSLR) cameras.
The Leica/rangefinder thing is about pushing it to the extremes : extreme darkness, extreme open aperture, extreme stealth, extreme anticipation and extreme composition.

Things that a SLR do not manage very well compared to a rangefinder camera :

- the AF, there are situations where the AF simply cannot focus. When I was shooting at dark on Hoi An river, I had to switch to manual AF with my 5D and I couldn't find the focus with f/4 lens. I wish I had color film with my M6, I would have had no focusing problems with cristal clear viewfinder.

- stealth : there's still a world between a bulky 5D, its shutter noise, and the click of a light M6. You're stealthier than ever.

- Anticipation and framing : remember the SLR only shows 93% of the image (that's why I find stupid the assertions of SLR photogs who claim they don't like to crop their image.. crop what? things they didn't see?). A M6 helps you anticipate the moves with a 120% to 200% viewfinder, you can witness the image building into your frame, completely different story, it beefs up your compo. You're thinking real time CROPPING (and understand better about the no crop/full frame : because the M photographer already applies a crop from the viewfinder, except that it is during the shooting. You must imagine the viewfinder like a clear monitor on which you chose your crop instantly)

- Clear viewfinder : when you look inside a dSLR viewfinder, 70% of what you see is just bokeh, hence how can you control what is going on on all planes? a rangefinder is like 3D, it will permit you to go deeper into the image composition. it's like going from 2D to 3D.

"I am not sure I would take different pictures with a leica than with digital canons.
and there was nothing making them more special just because they were taken with a leica."

I agree that if you shoot the same photos like you'd shoot them with a dSLR, then it's better that you stay with the dSLR. It's like trying to brush large surface of painting with a small brush... you won't shoot 20.000 shots per year with a M6.

If you stay within your comfort zone, then it's better you only use the 5D, because you shoot like you're using a 5D, just that the M6 would do it "slower"... as you say. (In this case, I don't even understand why you bought a rangefinder camera. Why not spend your money on your next trip?)

What I am saying is that if you want to get the benefits of a M, there's a learning curve and that it's useless using a rangefinder camera if you want to achieve exactly the same sort of photo and compositions that you're doing now.

And that learning curve takes a little time, just to see where the limits are... not in only one roll.

PS : For the french people, there's an interesting article on the pros and cons of the M rangefinder cameras in this month "Réponses Photo"... (and why you're shooting differently with it.).

maciekda 09-15-2006 04:43 PM

so I managed to provoke to you and get some great reading for TE members ;))
I must say that I agree with what you are saying, I understand what a Leica rangefinder is, I have spent a lot of time reading about it before getting it. I always wanted to have one and when I saw on eBay an auction for a reasonably priced near mint M6 ending in a few minutes I bought it without much thinking... it is like buying yourself a toy you always wanted to have.
and I bought it to shoot different photos than with my digital camera and that's why I don't use it at the moment, I might start a new project and do it with m6, but at the moment I don't have ideas what to do. I will countinue my current work with digital, I don't want to switch cameras, I want to have coherent set of images.

but since now I have this ultimate tool for B&W street photography I might shoot a few rolls of tri-x just for fun and to learn and understand this camera