The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking for new website (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966443)

fotka 03-08-2020 07:08 PM

Looking for new website

After the TrekEarth.Beta website was shut down by the administrator, more additional problems occurred on TrekEarth.
So far I found following problems:

1 visitors' counting unserviceable (on overview, on individual photos, on personal theme)
2 cannot change profile (get a note invalid email)
3 posting new photo (from time to time don't show under recent activity)
4 posting new photo from new region (don't update country region map location)
5 posting new photo from new country (don't show under view map in photo location information and on map photographed countries)
6 photographer's note don't show during posting new photo (get a invalid insert title note query, need goes to edit and adds note again)

All the problems exist for a while and I don't see any desire from administrator to fix these problems. It is sad because TrekEarth is a great website and the administrator should make sure that the website is in best quality.

As long as this website will be available I will be a member but when it is closed like TrekEart.Beta I am looking for something similar. If someone knows something similar to TrekEarth and give me the website address I will be very grateful.

mkamionka 03-08-2020 08:32 PM

Hi,
I am looking around for a while now. I think I will miss the maps the most. But even recent answer from Keitht (moderator) worried me. Owners, administrators and some moderators don't see the value and uniqueness of TrekEarth. After several discussions and no answers I think they decided to leave it as is until it dies out.
Anyway, I subscribe to fotka: you anybody finds anything similar please share it here!
M

SteveH 03-10-2020 11:02 PM

new website

I think this is a sensible discussion. One day we'll try to find TE and it just wont be there, along with everything posted here. There are a number of alternatives, none quite the same as TE, that I've found:

https://www.photofolia.net/ - set up by some disenchanted TEers some years ago, old timers will recognise some of the names (like everlasting). It isn't free, a quick look suggests that the quality of the photos is (dare I say it) higher, IMO. Activity though is also not high, maybe even less than TE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photocritique/ - quality of the critiques is higher, you don't see high praise of ordinary images as you tend to here. On the other hand, it doesn't have the same social interaction or travel theme, as far as I can make out from a quick poke around.

https://pbase.com/ - much bigger and more active, also not free, has critiquing but not sure of usefulness of the critiques, I haven't looked at it much so can't say more than that.

I've only looked quickly for alternatives so if others disagree with my assesment of the sites above I shall not be at all offended.

cheers,

Steve

mkamionka 03-11-2020 01:43 PM

Hi Steve,
Photofolia has some resemblance to TE with the photo location and indeed I see some names of former members like feather or jasmis, disenchanted with TE as you said :) But the maps/locations are quite poor. I suppose it depends what matters for whom.

Other are more for general photo sharing I think.

Great contribution though!

M

fotka 03-11-2020 03:13 PM

Looking for new website

Hello Steve,
Thank you very much for taking the time to try show me a few new websites similar to TrekEarth.com.
I checked the given websites and one of them www.reddit.com doesn't exist anymore. On the first one
www.photofolia.net I found many former (Waylim) or current (jmdias, everlasting) members of TrekEarth.
I agree with you that photos posted on www.photofolia.net and www.pbase.com are much higher quality.
Thank you and have a nice day,
Zbigniew

Keitht 03-11-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkamionka (Post 1311608)
Hi,<br />
I am looking around for a while now. I think I will miss the maps the most. But even recent answer from Keitht (moderator) worried me. Owners, administrators and some moderators don't see the value and uniqueness of TrekEarth. After several discussions and no answers I think they decided to leave it as is until it dies out.<br />
Anyway, I subscribe to fotka: you anybody finds anything similar please share it here!<br />
M

<br />
<br />
mkamionka. If you interpreted my recent answer as not valuing the uniqueness of TE you could not be more wrong. I wouldn't have stuck around as a Mod if I didn't. There may be differing interpretations about what TE was and is, but that is a different matter. Mods have absolutely no control over the way issues with TE are addressed (or more accurately not addressed) and I can assure you we are just as frustrated as everybody else by that. I joined TE because I greatly valued the in depth critiques which were the norm 'back in the day', but which have for the most part been lost in recent years. If I had been able to find another site which did fulfil those old values I would have joined it long ago, but it doesn't seem to be there.
I do wonder how much longer the site will continue as IB clearly have very little interest in supporting or updating it. It would seem we are in something of a Catch22 situation. Because membership is low there is little incentive to fix the problems, but membership is low, at least in part, because problems never seem to get fixed. The few members remaining will eventually give up and leave, so problem solved for IB!:(

SteveH 03-11-2020 10:17 PM

new site

Hi All,

I think there must be a problem with the link to the reddit photo critique site, as it does exist and is active. Perhaps try googling rather than using the link I provided.

Another possibility is this one https://www.photo.net/ , although reading their forum it seems like they may be having the same difficulties TE is.

cheers,

Steve

mkamionka 03-12-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

mkamionka. If you interpreted my recent answer as not valuing the uniqueness of TE you could not be more wrong.
I am glad I was wrong, Keitht :)

IBJoel 03-12-2020 09:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I understand the incredible frustration about reduced functionality. The the reality is that we are between a rock and a hard place. Minor updates were required to bring TrekEarth up to date in terms of both security and legal requirements. Unfortunately, those updates made certain features incompatible. I have alerted tech to these issues, but don't currently have a time frame in which they will be fixed.

SteveH 03-13-2020 12:05 AM

New website

Hi Joel, thanks for that information. I understand that they may not be able to provide a time frame when the repairs will be completed, but do you know if anyone is working on them? Regards, steve