The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   TE Projects (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TE Calendar/Book for Tsunami Victims? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59186)

adam 12-28-2004 08:53 AM

TE Calendar/Book for Tsunami Victims?

What do people think about publishing a calendar or book of TE photos to benefit victims of the tsunami with all proceeds going to relief work/charities in that area of the world? <a href="/members/skorj/">Skorj</a> has successfully used <a href="http://www.lulu.com">Lulu publishing</a> to publish a <a href="http://www.lulu.com/content/89089">calendar</a> so it does seem doable. Any interest in this? I think this would be a good way to tangibly help the victims of this tragedy.

snuggleaphagus 12-28-2004 09:13 AM

Re: TE Calendar/Book for Tsunami Victims?

This is an incredible way to contribute, and to help. I would contribute in any way I can, as your write it is "good way to tangibly help the victims of this tragedy." Would you need financial contributions to get this off the ground? This is a great way to link our desire to help with a favorite art form.
It is deeply touching to me to be of this truly caring, global community, that we affectionatly call TE. In the face of this horrendous natural disaster, by reading the posts on TE we have really learned about the world and most importantly the caring humans in this world.

kikvel 12-28-2004 09:22 AM

can you give us more information

regarding this interesting suggestion Adam?

how can we contribute? One way is by permitting the use of photos, the other way round is to give some money for the publishing?

K.

manny 12-28-2004 09:23 AM

This is a great idea.

I am here now vacationing in the Philippines, have just opened my emails of two weeks and was touched by numerous emails from TE members checking if I am okay. Such a caring community! I won't be as net-regular for another week. I will be flying back to Bangkok next week.

I will contribute in anyway...just email me.

Manny

sohrab 12-28-2004 09:24 AM

yes adam i think this is a very good idea..
perhaps images from the affected areas??

pridel 12-28-2004 09:24 AM

Even question that César, I don't have photographs, how I can help?

Zanni 12-28-2004 09:31 AM

I am here to give my contribution.

AminManji 12-28-2004 09:44 AM

This is an excellent idea. I'd contribute in anyway possible - photographs, financial for a publication, or other ways.

Adam and everyone else,
Are you familiar with whats involved in accomplishing something like this? Please share.

Thanks.
Amin.

adam 12-28-2004 09:51 AM

"perhaps images from the affected areas??"

Yes, that would be the best thing if enough photos were available.

adam 12-28-2004 09:57 AM

"I'd contribute in anyway possible - photographs, financial for a publication, or other ways."

The good thing about lulu pubishing is that it's on demand printing (print only what is sold) and there are no up-front costs involved.

"Are you familiar with whats involved in accomplishing something like this?"

I think it would involve a project manager-type person to coordinate getting the photos, and a design person to create the design/layout of the calendar. <a href="/members/skorj/">Skorj</a> has done this already so he would have a better idea of what it entails.

sohrab 12-28-2004 10:11 AM

have you identified or do you have any NGOs oe other organisation in mind that you plan on working with or contributing the funds to??
if not then.. <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/members/clodreno/">claude</a> has the address of one organistation called <a href="http://www.aide-et-action.org/">action aid</a> on his intro. i'm sure this organisation exists in sri lanka, thailand and other affected places

i think he was sponsoring a child in tamil nadu (one of the worst affected regions) .. maybe that organisation can be looked into..
also perhaps... if you do go ahead with the calendar.. then you should decide on how to use the funds.. whether to just contribute the money in a general fund.. or to use it for a specific purpose such as sponsoring a family or to use it to buy food or clothings etc..
you should just keep in mind that a lot of bureaucracy exists in the south asian countries especially..
when it comes to government aid.. a lot of times the funds donot get tranferred down to the affected people completely...

if i can be of any help please let me know

flydragon 12-28-2004 10:36 AM

yes Adam
this is a good idea
i would like also
just wait to know how
regards
Simon

joseelias 12-28-2004 11:53 AM

Very good idea Adam. If I can help in any way just tell me.

My photos are available (if useful for this purpouse).

Darren 12-28-2004 12:19 PM

I think this is an excellent idea Adam. I don't have photos of the affected areas, but would be willing to help in any way possible. This tragedy has really brougth to light exactly how small the world is, as well as how tightly knit a community you have helped to create.

Because of being a member of TE, I feel a greater kinship to those who have suffered, and have shared worry and fear about our members, as well as people who have appeared in photos on this site. I think it is a strong testament to this site that you have been able to do something that brings people from all over together in such a way.

Porteplume 12-28-2004 12:26 PM

I have never travelled there otherwise than through the images of your site Adam, but be sure I want to participate in helping the victims of this desaster in any other ways...
Please let us know when something has been decided and maybe financial help is needed to accomplish your idea.

Amicalement - Viviane

oochappan 12-28-2004 12:30 PM

Indeed I agree but not on disaster-photo's, let's go for hope and more joyfull scenes as a way to look forward remembering good times.
I would be happy to share in this way, I will be going there in a short delay, if I can, I will look for joy in solidarity ...

oochappan 12-28-2004 12:51 PM

PS fisherman would be a geat theme since I suppose they are the most affected group and in India one of the lowest casts.

Piotr 12-28-2004 01:39 PM

Good idea... it's real big, big tragedy for All
Regards, piotr

ChrisJ 12-28-2004 01:44 PM

I think its a great idea, Adam, & practical, too.

Rockyboy 12-28-2004 02:29 PM

Good idea this calendar and agree with Henk about the picture scenes.
I am also ready to do something for those poors peoples.

Michael_Gan 12-28-2004 02:54 PM

Adam, superb idea. Relatively easy, almost no risk (when executed via Lulu publishing) and very much in the spirit of TE. Although I don't have any pictures of the affected areas, I'd be more than happy to be of any assistance. The least I can and will do, is pointing colleagues, friends and relatives (and any others who care about the world) to the calendar/book once it is available.

Luko 12-28-2004 03:34 PM

Adam,

good idea, of course you can count me in, either with my photos or for a financial participation (or both).

It happens I have lately sold a pic of the Sri Lanka stilt fishing guys as an illustration in a fishing book (!?), it's a very symbolistic and limited fee but I feel the least I can do is to give the money back to something that would help them or their families. If you open a paypal account dedicated to this TE operation I'll be glad to participate financially.

For the photo material, just tell what to do...

Cheers
Luko

ninadev 12-28-2004 03:46 PM

Great idea.. words of sorrow are good, but action is better. I don't know what I can do to help except maybe when it gets available to talk about it, maybe even call TV or radio stations to publicize it. But it would have to be made available fast, you know how, if its far from home, people forget and go on with their life until the next news of a tragedy.

SavioCastro 12-28-2004 03:48 PM

Excelente idéia Adam, você pode contar com minhas fotos.
acho que é o mínimo que podemos fazer.

------------------------------------------------

Yes Adam, my photos are its disposal.

Maru 12-28-2004 04:30 PM

Adam, I don't have photos of the affected areas but you can count on me too.
Marisa

MiguelP 12-28-2004 04:38 PM

I think it´s wonderfull idea, but maybe is a little late for a calendar (only a few days left to reach 2005)... I propose a book: There´s people here with photos even better than those seing at National Geographic. I mean people like Ochappan, mackieda,Clodreno or Sohrab.

Keitht 12-28-2004 05:21 PM

Great idea. Let me know if you think any of my images are suitable.

MiguelP 12-28-2004 06:22 PM

Hi Adam:
Although I think more appropiate the idea of the book, specially because we are not an emergency community so dont have the facilities to work fast, I have a design already made for small calendars. I do it every year and give it as a present for family and friends... If you want, I can send you the desing.

Ps: Really, help is going to be needed for long time in the future. In this dramatic moments I think we should better keep calm and think over how to give assistance to this people in the most profitable way (Choose a NGO, a project of development there...). Nevertheless count me in if you need my help (I´m journalist and tv director here in Spain).

PLD_images 12-28-2004 06:37 PM

Wonderfull idea Adam and thank you for it.
The only way I guess I could participate in financially so just let me know how I can help and it's done.

Kicka 12-28-2004 06:38 PM

Good ide Adam,
if there is anything I can do,pleas let me know.

lemon_logix 12-28-2004 07:19 PM

I would be glad to help in any way I can too. Just feel free to drop me an email.

mortijo 12-28-2004 08:10 PM

You can count me in. Just tell me what I can do.

waskahegan 12-28-2004 08:24 PM

TE Calendar/Book for Tsunami Victims?

You can count me in. Just tell me what I can do.

Oldtree 12-28-2004 08:51 PM

I have no photos of the affected area but if I can help in any way (financial or my photo's) please contact me or make a statement here (but better via EMail, so I won't miss it).

efimoore 12-28-2004 09:59 PM

Good idea to help. This is the least we can do.
I would be glad to help in any way. Even with coordinating this effort (have some experience in this area). But I am about to leave for 2.5 weeks vacation and will only have time when coming back (mid Jan). If it's not too late I will have plenty of time to help. Just let me know, how I can contribute.

bibiweb 12-28-2004 10:38 PM

An excellent idea Adam.
Like those who have answered before me, I'm willing to participate/help in any way !

Jeppe 12-28-2004 10:54 PM

Count me in - I can only agree in this idea.
Jeppe

kikvel 12-29-2004 12:05 AM

I agree about it

Very nice ideas. The photos must be not of the tragedy as already stated.

They must show the beauty of the world we are living in.

I hope I can contribute somehow.

K.

oochappan 12-29-2004 12:50 AM

Indeed a book is more appropriate I think as people are helped by big organisations for their essentials needs now, but what after ? Those people mostly living near the sea, fisherman, when they come back home, they have to start all over again, their nets are gone, their boots broken and their houses teared down as poor people still uses palmleaves roofs ... at that moment goverment nor organisations will help them anymore and they are pushed into poverty, more then before. I know you can't help so much people with one book, maybe targetting one fisherman-village would be an example to others to take same initiatives, wich village we can target from the news, some villages had more dammage then others, just pick out one .... maybe an idea .... "TE helping Nagapatinam" for instance ... does this help to give this action more form ?

pridel 12-29-2004 02:26 AM

I work in a great association for education of the children and in relation to the international one. if a calendar is published, I could doubtless make it circulate in all the French network of my association