The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   To Adam: a suggestion concerning "series" on TE (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485204)

Furachan 08-31-2007 12:18 PM

Re: To Adam: a suggestion concerning "series" on TE

Sohrab, always a delight hearing from you, man!
Listen, it doesn't have to be THAT complicated - "hiding" shots and so on. Once again let me make my purpose for this thread nakedly clear to all: I am concerned about all the fine photogs who migrate unnecessarily to more soulless environments like pBase and so on when they could be right at home here. Those of us who are PJ-addled, who slobber all over our MAGNUM books, I say not only is there room for us in this vast community but we have a significant role to play in leavening the site, givingit an "edge". And you know that's true.
tThe problem is that we sometimes feel overwhelmed by predominant trends, postacrds, what you will which, though perfectly legitimate, sometimes overshadow what we're trying to achieve. Those of us a bit more heavily on the PHOTOGRAPHY side of the ledger, ya know what I mean?
I believe that this plea will not fall on deaf ears, let's give it a little time.

kinginexile 08-31-2007 04:23 PM

Re: To Adam: a suggestion concerning "series" on TE

Francis, a few points.

A new format added to the site, ie. series, will most likely be TE-ed in no time. I mean for one series of Francis and Jinju on the street of Tokyo or Seoul,, you will have 15 shots of xxx's last trip to Angkor wat, xxx's last 12 shots coming from Italy, etc... I hope at least, if it happens (Cordon Rouge OK, Francis?), it will not be prisoner of the smyley tyranny and addiction. But then, traffic will be slow. Also a series, or a docu, is like an exhibit, it deserves a setting where it will fit. For me, it's about like having 2 pages of Winogrand's shots in TRAVEL AND LEISURE magazine, or exhibiting him at WALMART. Why put all in one when it will dilute the effort of the photographer.

I also think that crowded websites has their limits, and so does TE (c' est plutot "tout le monde il est beau, tout le monde il est gentil" que soulful, avec quelques villains petits canards!). I think that the challenges that some members have created for themselves, have a lot to do with not staying parked on TE, not ceding to the same routine, but looking beyond.

I'd say that the last experience Rafal had, which he posted in the P. section of the forum, without driving him away from TE, is setting him on a course where sharing his work only on TE or other memebership websites is not really telling him that's where it stops.

What we need is to challenge ouselves, not constrain our daily outputs in the same routine way.

I am sure you will find I did not stick to the thread topic :-)))

if the pleas did not fall on deaf ears, it would be nice to hear about it. Now that would be soulful....