Photos

Photographer's Note

Manor St. George in Shirley New York

The Manor of St. George (or Georges) occupied nearly all of modern Brookhaven Town from the Carman's River eastward to the Town of Southampton, and from the Atlantic Ocean to the middle of the island, an area I estimate to be about 90 square miles. Also included was a noncontiguous estate on the north shore at Setauket, which was the early seat of the Manor. The original patent for the Manor of St. George was granted by Gov. Fletcher of New York to Colonel William "Tangier" Smith in 1693. An additional patent was granted in 1697 annexing a large tract of land on the east.

1693 Patent for the Manor of St. George (pdf)

1688 Deed for Yaphank Neck
1738 Town of Brookhaven Action confirming Samuel Terrill ownership
Included within the bounds of the patents was a small parcel on the western side of the Carman's River (then known as the Connecticut River) called Yamphank Neck. However, a deed five years earlier recorded the sale of the Neck to a Town freeholder, Samuel Terrill; and the Town apparently always considered the parcel within the Town governmental jurisdiction. This area included much of what we now called the Hamlet of South Haven. For 200 years there were legal disputes over the parcel. The Neck theoretically remained under the jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor until Town jurisdiction was formalized in 1789 when the newly independent government annexed the Manor to the Town and the Manoria prerogatives ended. In Colonial times, the Manor was an important influence in the Town of Brookhaven and all of eastern Long Island; and it is mentioned several times in these pages and in the Hamlet People genealogies.

belido, jusninasirun, JPlumb, Charo, gunbud has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1313
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angela LL (angela926) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 365 W: 17 N: 467] (1884)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH