Photos

Photographer's Note

Beautiful old, colonial city Surrounded by mountains. Remainds me a bit Trinidad in Cuba.

from Wiipedia:
"San Cristóbal de las Casas is a municipality (municipio) and city in the central highlands of the state of Chiapas, Mexico. It is located in the Highlands of Chiapas at 16.75° N 92.63° W, at an elevation of approximately 2100 m (6890 ft) above mean sea level. The city was named after Bartolomé de Las Casas, a Spanish priest who defended the rights of the Native Americans and was the first bishop of Chiapas. In 2003, the estimated population was 121,100 people.

For thousands of years, Maya peoples, ancestral to the present-day Tzotzil and Tzeltal peoples, have continuously lived in settlements in the general area of the modern city of San Cristobal.

In 1528, the Spanish conquistador, Diego de Mazariegos established the settlement of "Villareal de Chiapa de los Espańoles" as a regional base after defeating the Zoques and Chiapanecos in fierce fighting. The settlement became the capital of the province of Chiapas. On March 1, 1535, the Spanish crown bestowed the settlement with un escudo de armas and renamed the city, "San Cristóbal de los Llanos" after its patron saint, St. Christopher. The settlement was given the title of city on July 7, 1536, and once again renamed to "Ciudad Real de Chiapa". By 1577, the city selected don Juan de Meza as its first mayor.

The city's name underwent frequent modifications. On July 27, 1829 the city became "Ciudad de San Cristóbal" and it was on May 31, 1848 that they city became know as "San Cristóbal de Las Casas", in honor of Bartolomé de Las Casas. On February 13, 1934, the city became "Ciudad Las Casas", but this was officially revereted back to "San Cristóbal de Las Casas" on November 4, 1943 by Dr. Rafael Pascacio Gamboa. Despite the various name changes that the city has undergone, the local people continue to call the city by its traditional name, Jovel. (During the colonial period, the city was also known as "el Mote de la Chiapa de los Espańoles" and until a few decades ago, it was also known as "Hueyzacatlįn".) The chiapanecos also refer to the city as "Sancris"."

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 6495
Points: 2
Discussions
Additional Photos by Jan Kos (fjufju) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 58 W: 8 N: 36] (335)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH