Photos

Photographer's Note

This is yet another photo of Västgötaspången. This time from another angle and in winter when Fyris River was ice-covered. Västgötaspången is a narrow foot across the Fyris River in central Uppsala. It was a bridge in this place already in the 13th century. In a map from 1770 there was still a bridge here, but in a map from 1858 it was gone and replaced by ferry service. The present bridge was built in 1862. The bridge was called the Malin Bridge in those days which comes from Malin Grönbeck whose father Carl Eric Grönbeck donated money to the bridge.

The closed building on the right hand side of the river is Västgöta Nation, A nation is a society for students at the University of Uppsala. Västgöta Nation is a nation for students from the province Västergötland in the south western part of Sweden. There are 14 Student Nations in Uppsala. The student nations are almost as old as the University itself. Västgöta Nation that was founded in 1639 has 1 200 members. It is one of the smaller nations at Uppsala. The Nation has extensive cultural activities including three choirs, a theatre club and an orchestra.

The next building is St. Lars Catholic Church. This building is actually not very old. It was built in 1985, but in the same style as, Imperfectum, an older building it replaced. The Catholic congregation in Uppsala has about 2 600 members from 70 different countries.

The building behind the Catholic Church is Olympen, a residential building which was built in 1853 and design by Johan Otto Larsson. The top floor was student housing. The four storey building has 16 windows at each floor.

Then Laboratory Chemicum, which was built by Uppsala University's chemical department in the 18th century. In 1738 the Academy Chancellor endorsed that a chemical laboratory was to be built, and in 1752 some land was purchased for this purpose. The building is one of the oldest university buildings in Uppsala and was built in 1752-53. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1766 but then repaired and provided with an extra floor designed by C J Cronstedt.

Almost totally hidden behind the Laboratory Chemicum there is a building named Anatomicum that was built in the 1850s. For about one hundred years it was the centre of medical education in Uppsala. Today such education takes place in the modern premises of Uppsala University Biomedical Center (BMC).

And finally the Pump house, once Uppsala waterworks, but now a museum. It was designed by architect Adrian Crispin Peterson and opened in 1875. In the past the Pump house provided the inhabitants of Uppsala with water, drains, gas, electricity and long-distance heating

bukitgolfb301, adores, jjcordier, holmertz, danos has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2380
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ulf eriksson (UlfE) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2516 W: 81 N: 3653] (14641)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH