Photos

Photographer's Note

The tower of the Cathedral of Murcia is the bell tower of the Cathedral of Santa María, in the city of Murcia (Region of Murcia, Spain). Initiated at the beginning of the 16th century, his works were hampered by various problems, and could not be completed until the 1790s. Consequently he combines different styles in their different bodies, from Renaissance to Neoclassicism, including multiple architects, from Jacopo Florentino to Ventura Rodríguez.

Its 93 meters of height make it the third highest bell tower in Spain - the second if only cathedrals are included, and the undisputed symbol of the city of Murcia.

The Cathedral of Murcia had a primitive tower during the fifteenth century. A simple tower, of Gothic style that in 1467 would accompany to the cathedral set during the consecration of the temple.

The works of the current tower were the initiative of the bishop of the diocese of Cartagena, Cardinal Mateo Lang of Wellenburg, whose project began in 1519 at the hands of the Florentine architects Francisco and Jacobo Torni, called "Florentino" by his city of origin . After the initial studies, the works began on October 19, 1521, the day of the first ashlar installation.

View of the last bodies of the tower. Upper part of the third body, the corps of conjurators and the bells designed by Juan de Gea in 1765 and the neoclassical auction of Ventura Rodríguez.
The works of the second body began in the decade of 1540 of the hand of a new architect, Jerónimo Quijano, who respected the ordering of spaces that had been raised in the first body by the Florentines. At this point it was when the problem of the inclination or seat of the tower appeared towards its NW face, so the works were paralyzed after the completion of the second body.

It was not until 1765 (more than two hundred years later) when the construction of the tower was resumed, thanks to some of the architects or stonemasons who worked on the works of the new main facade or imafronte of the Cathedral (1737-1754) and of the new Espiscopal Palace (1748-1768), such as Juan de Gea (who designed the plans) and maestro José López, who directed the works.

In order to compensate the inclination that had occurred (since it was not wanted to demolish the previous work), the solution was taken to increase the thickness of the cane on the opposite side (the SE side), while the dimension was reduced from one of the walls of the third body in one foot for each face, that is how the third body (or the clock), the body of the conjurators and the body of the belfry could be lifted, balancing the charges.

At the height of 1780 there was only the completion of the tower, which posed design problems, since José López opposed the one proposed by Juan de Gea (who designed an airy spire with a lantern on top of it). Once surrounded by a balcony and crowned by a giraldilla), intervening therefore the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando. Which, interested in promoting the new neoclassical tendencies, commissioned Ventura Rodríguez to design, directing the works until its completion in 1793 Pedro Gilabert.

---------------------------------------------

La torre de la Catedral de Murcia es la torre campanario de la Catedral de Santa María, en la ciudad de Murcia (Región de Murcia, España). Iniciada a comienzos del siglo XVI, sus obras se vieron dificultadas por diversas problemáticas, no pudiendo ser finalizada hasta la década de 1790. Consecuentemente aúna diversos estilos en sus diferentes cuerpos, desde el renacimiento al neoclasicismo, interviniendo también múltiples arquitectos, desde Jacopo Florentino hasta Ventura Rodríguez.

Sus 93 metros de altura la convierten en el tercer campanario más alto de España -el segundo si se incluyen solo catedrales, y en símbolo indiscutible de la ciudad de Murcia.

La Catedral de Murcia contó con una primigenia torre durante el siglo XV. Una torre sencilla, de estilo gótico que en 1467 acompañaría al conjunto catedralicio durante la consagración del templo.

Las obras de la torre actual fueron iniciativa del obispo de la diócesis de Cartagena, el cardenal Mateo Lang de Wellenburg, cuyo proyecto dio comienzo en 1519 de la mano de los arquitectos florentinos Francisco y Jacobo Torni, llamados "Florentino" por su ciudad de origen. Tras los estudios iniciales, los trabajos dieron comienzo el 19 de octubre de 1521, día de la colocación del primer sillar.

Vista de los últimos cuerpos de la torre. Parte superior del tercer cuerpo, el cuerpo de conjuratorios y el de campanas diseñados por Juan de Gea en 1765 y el remate neoclásico de Ventura Rodríguez.
Las obras del segundo cuerpo dieron comienzo en la década de 1540 de la mano de un nuevo arquitecto, Jerónimo Quijano, que respetó la ordenación de espacios que había sido planteada en el primer cuerpo por los Florentino. En este punto fue cuando apareció el problema de la inclinación o asiento de la torre hacia su cara NW, por lo que las obras quedaron paralizadas tras la terminación del segundo cuerpo.

No fue hasta 1765 (más de doscientos años después) cuando se reanudó la construcción de la torre, gracias a algunos de los arquitectos o canteros que trabajaron en las obras de la nueva fachada principal o imafronte de la Catedral (1737-1754) y del nuevo Palacio Espiscopal (1748-1768), como Juan de Gea (que diseñó los planos) y el maestro José López, que dirigió las obras.

De cara a compensar la inclinación que se había producido (ya que no se quería derruir la obra anterior), se tomó la solución de aumentar el espesor de la caña del lado opuesto (el lado SE), a la vez que se redujo la dimensión de uno de los muros del tercer cuerpo en un pié por cada cara. Así fue como se pudo levantar el tercer cuerpo (o del reloj), el cuerpo de los conjuratorios y el cuerpo del campanario, equilibrando las cargas.

A la altura de 1780 sólo quedaba por realizar la terminación de la torre, la cual planteó problemas de diseño, ya que José López se opuso al que planteaban los planos de Juan de Gea (que ideó un airoso chapitel con una linterna encima que a su vez se rodeaba de un balcón volado y se coronaba por una giraldilla), interviniendo por tanto la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. La cual, interesada en promover las nuevas tendencias neoclásicas, encargó a Ventura Rodríguez el diseño, dirigiendo las obras hasta su terminación en 1793 Pedro Gilabert.

Photo Information
Viewed: 306
Points: 40
Discussions
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH