Photographer's Note

Collegiate church of St. Mary and St. Alexius in the village of Tum, near town of Łęczyca. Is one of the most magnificent monuments of Romanesque architecture in Poland. It has been a witness to history of Poland for almost one thousand years. The construction, initiated by Duchess Salomea who, after death of Bolesław the Wry¬mouthed ¬ her husband, stayed in Leczyca, commenced by action of archbishop of Gniezno – Jacob of Żnin, though some sources mention bishop Alexander of Mallonne. The temple was consecrated by archbishop Janik on 21 May 1161. The collegiate church burnt down a number of times and was rebuilt afterwards. Nowadays, it is a three¬aisled oriented basilica with two apses, built of stone blocks connected by means of calcareous mortar, with layering of granite blocks and sandstone elements of decoration seen by the windows, cornices and at the edges of the towers. From the west side, there are two quadrilateral towers and from the east, two round turrets. The entrance is located on the western facade. The vestibule shelters the most well¬known monument – a bas¬relief depicting the figure of Madonna with Child adored by two angels.

See You alyernative take in the Workshop, please!

ChrisJ, jimmj63, pierrefonds, PiotrF, pajaran, Fis2, holmertz, cornejo, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 820
Points: 28
  • None
Additional Photos by Lidia Krukowska (Lidka) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 278 W: 44 N: 720] (2710)
View More Pictures