Photos

Photographer's Note

First fully mechanized cotton factory in Lodz was built in 1835-1838. Its founder Ludwik Geyer (1805-1869), of Saxon origin, arrived to Lodz in 1828. Like many other weavers who were settling there, he was granted a hereditary tenure of a plot on Piotrkowska St., where he built a factory. Unpaid loans and shortage of cotton deliveries in the middle of the 19th century caused a gradual collapse of his business, finally closed down in 1862.

In 1867-1878 former factory buildings were rent by other industrailists: Bernard Ginsberg, Gustaw Geyer and Szajia Rosenblatt. After a rental agreement had expired the factory slowly began to rise from previous downfall. Heirs of Geyer took advantage of a boom. In 1881 they set up a company which took over running the family firm, transformed on the 27th of March 1886 into Towarzystwo Akcyjne Wyrobow Bawelnianych Ludwika Geyera (Ludwik Geyer's Joint Stock Company of Cotton Products). Issued shares had an image of factory buildings, located on Piotrkowska St. in Lodz. Well managed company began to expand until a period of prosperity was ended by an outbreak of the First World War. The factory was closed and occupational authorities requisitioned modern machines, cotton and fabrics. After the war the factory did not manage to achieve level of production from before 1914. Economic crisis in 1929 led it, like many other factories, on the verge of bankruptcy, which was finally announced in 1934. However by order of a bankruptcy trustee production was continued. In 1938 the factory once again began to bring profits. After an outbreak of the Second World War despite pressure from Germans the Geyer family, who thought of themselves as Poles, refused to cooperate with the occupants. On the 12th of December 1939 gestapo executed Robert Geyer and the factory was taken over by an official receiver.

After 1945 the factory was nationalized. It became a part of Zaklady Przemyslu Bawelnianego im. F.Dzierzynskiego (later Eskimo).

In the 90. the factory was liquidated and the buildings sold. Since 1958 until today in the oldest part of the factory, so-called Geyer's White Factory, the Central Museum of Textile Industry has been located.
(Agnieszka Janik)

Jeppo, edcone has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Darek Marcinkowski (darimarc) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 36 W: 2 N: 12] (905)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2008-06-25
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/4, 1/320 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2008-06-27 11:37
Viewed: 1636
Points: 6
Discussions
Additional Photos by Darek Marcinkowski (darimarc) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 36 W: 2 N: 12] (905)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH