Photos

Photographer's Note

Church of San Pietro Caveoso - Matera
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul, popularly known as the church of San Pietro Caveoso is one of the major religious landmarks of Matera both for the size of the parish and for the wealth of its assets. The first news dates back to 1218, then it has been modified several times over the centuries.
In the seventeenth century the church was totally renovated with the construction of the current facade and the construction of the bell tower; the interior has been enlarged, with the addition of the side chapels and the original wooden trussed ceiling has been replaced by a tuff vault.
In 1752 the church was reconsecrated by Archbishop Lanfranchi and still modified: the cusp on the bell tower was added, the interior was covered with stucco and decorations and a wooden false ceiling was placed under the tuff roof.
The baroque façade is marked by pilasters that frame the portals and end in acroteri, the niches contain the statue of San Paolo on the right, and in the center of the Madonna della Misericordia, on the left of San Pietro.
The interior has three naves with a transept. The false ceiling is painted wooden boards representing "The Christ who entrusts the future of the Church to St. Peter", "Madonna del Confalone" and "Conversion of St. Paul". In the medallions: "San Giovanni da Matera", "San Donato and the angels" and, at the main altar, "Coronation of the Virgin".
Originally there were eight side chapels, four on the left and four on the right. Traces of the latter remain having been destroyed with the detachment of the church from the Monterrone cliff, implemented to make room for the construction of the oratory and an arch out of context that allows driveway access behind the Malve-Casalnuovo districts along the upper edge of the gravina. Inserted in niches, three statues: on the right to the left: San Leonardo, the Madonna and Child, called "De Vexillo", part of the destroyed chapel of the Confalone, brotherhood aggregated to the archconfraternity of Rome with which he participated in the graces and indulgences granted by the popes, dating back to the 16th century, and San Giovanni da Matera.
The central nave ends with an eighteenth-century altar dominated by a wooden polyptych dated around 1540, the work of an anonymous painter from Matera, depicting the Madonna and Child between Saints Peter and Paul; the Last Supper is shown in the predella; in the upper part the representation of the Eternal.
In the left nave there are four chapels: the first, dedicated to the Virgin of Sorrows with a cross vault, has very few traces of a presumably 15th century fresco and contains the seventeenth-century painting by Alessandro Fracanzano "Pietà"; in the second chapel, under the cover of eighteenth-century stuccos, two groups of seventeenth-century frescoes by Martino Deghello reappeared after the restoration, representing stories of the lives of the saints: in the first La Vergine, San Antonio Abate and San Lorenzo, in the other San Domenico, San Pietro and San Paolo, while in the apse, the remains of Pantocrator with Saints and a small offerer.
The next chapel is dedicated to Sant'Antonio: an altar decorated with six tuff bas-relief panels, painted with stories about the life of the Saint dated 1531 and probably executed by Altobello Persio. On the right and left two paintings depicting a Madonna and Child with Saint Anthony, dated 17th century.
In the last chapel, currently dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, there is the wonderful 13th century baptismal font which, freed from the layer of stucco added over the centuries, revealed splendid bas-reliefs including the Easter Lamb, the great 'Mani of God 'a telamon (support statue) with a strange imaginative animal and the symbols of the four evangelists. There are also seventeenth-century frescoes of saints, including San Francesco, San Domenico and a part of a probably sixteenth-century wooden bas-relief representing God the blessing Father.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17383 W: 130 N: 36256] (198878)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2008-08-05
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/0.6, 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2020-02-29 6:08
Viewed: 0
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17383 W: 130 N: 36256] (198878)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH