Photographer's Note

Villa di Sustrico - Spoleto (PG)

Sustrico is a place on the left going up the Via Flaminia to the Somma, the name is mentioned for the first time in the municipal statutes of 1296: "Item dicimus et ordinamus, quod locus Substrici habeatur prò villa, et homines ibi habitantes compellantur ad faciendum baiulum (et) valdarium ut alii homines alia- rum villarum ".
In the fourteenth-century codex Pelosius two churches are named, which depended on San Pietro extra moenia: San Nicolò "de Publica" and San Martino "de Sutrico".
It was probably never fortified, although one of the current dovecote tower of the farmhouse may have originally been a watchtower, and it remained an open villa. Around the 16th century, Sustrico became the property of the noble Leti di Spoleto family and remained so until the extinction of the family, in the early nineteenth century, after various vicissitudes, the property was acquired by the Antonelli family in 1851.

snunney, jhm, pierrefonds, ikeharel, papagolf21, mcmtanyel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 525
Points: 30
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17141 W: 130 N: 35471] (195794)
View More Pictures