Photos

Photographer's Note

Protte - Spoleto (PG)

The area where stands Protte hours, located along one of the routes of the ancient Flaminia, probably inhabited since Roman times, it is likely that the name is a predial derived from the Latin Protius. An area for funerary use is documented around the church of the Madonna delle Grazie. Other sporadic finds were made near the castle, from the surroundings of the farmhouse that belonged before 1881 to the convent of San Luca comes a travertine stone with inscription belonging to the tomb of the physician Q. Anneo Tebulo.
Perhaps there was a small agricultural settlement or a country villa, the lack of findings does not allow, to date, certainties about it.
In the area is documented the ancient hospital for lepers of San Giacomo "de bridge lapidum", located at one of the ancient bridges surpassed by the Flaminia diverticolo.
Saverio Minervio and Parruccio Zampolini, the two oldest historians of Spoleto, make it a mere mention, then taken by Sansi in its history of Spoleto: "So from 1378, in space of ten or twelve years, the open villages were surrounded by walls and of towers, and the castles of Beroide, S. Brizio, Poggiuolo, Poreta, Egi, S. Giacomo d'Aschito were seen; Azano, Protte, Cispiano, Morgnano, S. Angelo, Busano, Petrognano, Meggiana, S. Giacomo di Poreta and Bazzano, some of whom had already been in the past, and then either by rebellion or suspicion reduced by the city or from armies to open villas ".
The castle of Protte, which arose in 1388 on a pre-existing open villa, together with Beroide, San Brizio and Terraia created a barrage of particular importance also for the defense of the territory north of the city of Spoleto, in the plain. It was among the rebellious castles in Spoleto for which the Cardinal Legato Zitelleschi, with a law of 18 February 1440, decreed the demolition of the walls, but then the conservation of the castles was approved by the Spoleto Assembly with one hundred and thirty votes against six.
Around the sixteenth century there was a post station, later replaced with that of the Vene, located further north. During the period of French occupation it is part of the rural canton of Spoleto. Around 1850, Protte is "Parish of 265 souls in 55 families in 54 houses".

Today the castle, almost square in plan, still retains the ancient gate and a large part of the walls.
At the four corners there are still mighty towers, transformed into dovecotes with elegant corned shingle cornices, another, large and with refined decorations depicting birds is outside the only access door.
Above the only access door there is a characteristic wooden balcony, covered by a deep roof and reached by a steep staircase.

snunney, papagolf21, alvaraalto, ikeharel, danos, pierrefonds, PiotrF, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 374
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14703 W: 131 N: 30068] (173180)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH