Photos

Photographer's Note

The Martorana or Santa Maria dell 'Ammiraglio of Palermo, is located in Piazza Bellini, in front of the church of San Cataldo. Also called Santa Maria del'Ammiraglio, it opens daily from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., this Norman church was raised in 1143 by Giorgio de Antioquia, Admiral of Roger II.

During the Sicilian vespers and the uprising against the French, the nobles of the city met to decide to offer the crown of Sicily to Pedro II of Aragon. Later Alfonso de Aragón yielded it to the adjoining monastery founded by Eloisa Martorana, from where it will receive its name.

The original Norman forms were modified in the XVI-XVII centuries, when the Baroque façade was added and the planiometry was changed. Through the elegant four-storey bell-portico with mullioned windows and delicate ornate columns (12th century) we access the interior, clearly divided into two parts, a primitive one, with the ceilings decorated with Byzantine mosaics (previous to those of the Palatine Chapel and richest), and another with two naves, added in the seventeenth, with frescoes by Borremans XVIII.

------------------------------------------------------

La Martorana o Santa Maria dell’ Ammiraglio de Palermo, está situada en Piazza Bellini, enfrente de la iglesia de San Cataldo. También denominada Santa Maria del’Ammiraglio, abre diariamente de 9:30 a 13 y de 15:30 a 17:30, esta iglesia normanda fue alzada en 1143 por Giorgio de Antioquía, almirante de Roger II.

Durante las vísperas sicilianas y la sublevación contra los franceses, los nobles de la ciudad se reunieron para decidir ofrecer la corona de Sicilia a Pedro II de Aragón. Más tarde Alfonso de Aragón la cedió al monasterio contiguo fundado por Eloisa Martorana, de donde recibirá su nombre.

Las formas originales normandas fueron modificándose en los siglos XVI-XVII, cuando se añade la fachada barroca y se cambia la planiometría. A través del elegante campanario-pórtico de cuatro plantas con ventanas geminadas y delicadas columnas ornamentadas (siglo XII) accedemos al interior, dividido claramente en dos partes, una primigenia, con los techos decorados de mosaicos bizantinos (anteriores a los de la Capilla Palatina y más ricos), y otra con dos naves, añadidas en el XVII, con frescos de Borremans XVIII.

ikeharel, ikeharel, COSTANTINO, Fis2, mcmtanyel, holmertz, jhm, Cricri, cornejo has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 684
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH