Photos

Photographer's Note

The church of S. Biagio built in the eighteenth century after the terrible earthquake of 1693, is located where, according to tradition, was the oven where St. Agatha suffered martyrdom. In fact, after being imprisoned for not wanting to abjure her faith, she was first subjected to torture with fire and then her breasts were removed.

The façade of the church is the architect Antonino Battaglia, who designed other churches in Catania after the earthquake of 1693, in neoclassical style with twin columns that support a triangular tympanum.

In front of the church are the ruins of the Roman amphitheater. The Amphitheater of Catania dates from the second century, although its date of construction is not known with certainty.
It is located in Piazza Stesicoro, in the heart of the city and, in its time, was the second in size just behind the Colosseum in Rome.

Its plant was elliptical in shape and the sand had a diameter greater than 70 meters and one smaller than 50 meters, although the total diameters were 125 and 105 meters, respectively.

It is estimated that it could hold 15,000 to almost double the number of spectators, depending on whether they were seated or if wooden scaffolding had been added so that people could stand.
The Amphitheater was built with lava stone, brick and marble. Some of these materials were used over the centuries in other constructions.

During a long period of time, it remained buried, until at the beginning of the 20th century the excavations were made that brought it back to light.
Despite these works, part of the Amphitheater remains hidden under the buildings of the city.

-----------------------------------------------------

La iglesia de S. Biagio construida en el siglo XVIII tras el terrible terremoto de 1693, se encuentra en el lugar donde, según la tradición, estaba el horno donde Sta. Agatha sufrió el martirio . De hecho, después de ser encarcelada por no querer abjurar de su fe, primero fue sometida a tortura con fuego y luego le quitaron los pechos.

La fachada de la iglesia es del arquitecto Antonino Battaglia, quien diseñó otras iglesias en Catania después del terremoto de 1693, en estilo neoclásico con columnas gemelas que sostienen un tímpano triangular.

Delante de la iglesia se encuentran las ruinas del anfiteatro romano. El Anfiteatro de Catania data del siglo II, aunque no se sabe con certeza su fecha de construcción.
Está situado en la Piazza Stesicoro, en pleno centro de la ciudad y, en su época, fue el segundo en tamaño sólo por detrás del Coliseo de Roma.

Su planta era de forma elíptica y la arena tenía un diámetro mayor de 70 metros y uno menor de 50 metros, aunque los diámetros totales eran de 125 y 105 metros, respectivamente.

Se calcula que podía albergar de 15000 a casi el doble de espectadores, dependiendo de si éstos estaban sentados o si se habían añadido andamios de madera para que la gente pudiera permanecer de pie.
El Anfiteatro se construyó con piedra de lava, ladrillo y mármol. Parte de estos materiales se utilizaron a lo largo de los siglos en otras construcciones.

Durante un largo período de tiempo, permaneció sepultado, hasta que a principios del siglo XX se realizaron las excavaciones que lo volvieron a sacar a la luz.
Pese a estos trabajos, parte del Anfiteatro permanece oculto debajo de los edificios de la ciudad.

Tue, Fis2, ikeharel, ikeharel, holmertz, papagolf21, jhm, alvaraalto, cornejo, sacimar, ChrisJ has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 698
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH