To kasianowak: i thought so - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2020-02-15 10:21

Hi Gert
I wish you had taken a photo of this street in 2012 but I'm sure it was not possible during your 20 minute stopover. And I'm not certain I would like the look of this now big city. If this is the city centre then it was a lovely place, quaint and at the same vibrant in a good way. The photo makes me want to be there but I know it looks completely different now.
What was nothing special all those years ago, is very special now, especially the various vehicles. Turkey has changed a lot, just like the size of its cities.
Best wishes
Kasia
Ps. To be fair to the British people - if a Muslim (or Polish) immigrant broke their leg in Bushy Park (especially a child abandoned by their family) lots of people would stop and try to help and someone would call an ambulance etc. Even more so than in the case of a goose. I think the only occasion when an injured person would be left to their own resources in any country is the time of war or civil unrest.
What seems to be a problem, for some reason, is the long-term commitment of living next to someone in some way different. I think it's a mixture of a. animal side of human nature b. upbringing by parents who had always lived surrounded by people of the same nationality c. having spent the whole life surrounded by people of the same nationality (at home, at work, always travelling in a group) d. the propaganda pumped into people's heads by populist politicians etc. In this order.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:25 PM
TE Expert

Default To kasianowak: i thought so

Thank you Kasia,
Well, I supposed you would say that an abandoned Muslim child with a broken leg would be taken care of. It's just that in these days of reckless anti-immigrant, rightwing populist propaganda you never quite know what to expect. Sometimes it seems there is no limit to some people's hate against "them".
Have a nice Sunday.
(And happy travels?)
Gert
Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Happy Travels

Thank you Gert!

If nothing happens (my Air China flight was cancelled, I had to book another one with another airline and now waiting for a refund from AC) in two weeks' time I'll be waiting, in Singapore airport, for my flight to Manila.

Have a nice Sunday too.