To macjake: Hanoi - Ninh Binh by train - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2017-10-31 6:18

Hi Paul
wonderful photo, we as photographers feel like we're in heaven when we see scenes like this right!? haha. our eyes open wide when we see this, I know mine would. such a smart composition, I wouldn't want to change anything about it. You mentioned travelling 93 km south of Hanoi, mind me asking how you travel here? was that by bus? by train? did you have any difficulties? do alot of people speak english to help you out? Great looking WS photos too. cheers
Craig

Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: Hanoi - Ninh Binh by train

Hi Craig,

I found traveling in Vietnam quite easy. Everywhere there are people who do speak English, sometimes perhaps only a little but enough to be able to help you.

In many hotels the staff speaks fluently English and they’re eager to help you.
It is worthwhile to ask in your hotel which connection is the best, bus or train.
In many hotels the staff is willing to buy the ticket for you. I heard some travelers complain that the commission fee could then be high. Usually this is the case in very cheap hotels that reduce their prices but want to earn money in other ways.
If you pay a little more for your hotelroom, buying the tickets for transportation is covered by their service. Or maybe I had a lot of luck in my hotel in Hanoi ... ?
Anyway, the country is very inexpensive and you get great value for money.

From Hanoi I travelled by train to Ninh Binh.
Although the wagons were rather old, the trip was comfortable enough. I do not remember exactly but it was a trip of two or three hours (one way of course).

Vietnam is a very elongate country and there are also night buses and night trains.
An overnight train journey made by many tourists is from Hanoi to Lŕo Cai (to go to the rice terraces of Sapa).
There were sleepers, very comfortable and you’re with four in a compartment.

There are also sleeping coaches. Sometimes even at daytime. I think a bit less suitable for very tall westerners. That was my experience.

The country is very safe for individual travelers. Everyone is friendly and the food is delicious.

Unfortunately, the country excels in traffic accident statistics.
I have not seen a single accident during my three week trip but these messages can be found wherever you read anything about Vietnam.

The biggest drawback I experienced, was the number of foreign tourists (especially westerners but also other Asians). If you like to know what I thought of that, read my note at my first picture of Vietnam (‘Theme Park Vietnam’).

Best wishes,
Paul