To delpeoples: churning title - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great delpeoples 2011-03-26 1:40

Hi Benny

Your title has my brain churning - and it hurts thinking so hard on a Saturday! The close-up is superb, amazing colours, textures and light management. Going for some Panadol now, have a good weekend :)

Lisa

Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM
TE Expert

Cool To delpeoples: churning title

I sort of made a pact with myself to from now on only use song titles (or references to them) as titles for my posts - and I find that surprisingly difficult. Somehow, most of my previouos posts already had song titles, but once it becomes a rule, I sort of feel tempted to break it. Grr... Anyway, we'll see how long it lasts.

In this case (as you probably know) it's a good ol' Nick Cave number. I used it to refer to the good/evil duality of these guardians: they are forces of goodness, but they do look so horribly evil. They are kind, but look a lot stranger than we'd probably expect.

Greetings & do enjoy your weekend, with or without Panadol...preferably without!

Benny
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
TE Expert

Smile Stranger Than Kindness

Hi Benny

Oh yes, I knew it was one of Nick's (great idea by the way). But trying to remember the lyrics, I thought it was a song about sex not religion. Then the 2 are always intertwined I suppose. So the Panadol was needed because my fragile little brain was trying to work out what the lyrics mean if they don;t mean what I thought they meant. Which is a dangerous thing because the song was written during Nick's heroin hey day, and could possibly actually mean nothing or it might mean something. To illustrate my point, I watched an interview recently of Nick by an American journalist who asked what his song "No Pussy Blues" meant (which as you propbably know was written well after his heroin hey days). He replied quick as you like with a huge grin, "It's about getting no pussy".

Stranger Than Kindness (part)

Stranger than kindness
Bottled light from hotels
Spilling everything
Wet hand from the volcano
Sobers your skin
Stranger than Kindness
You caress yourself
And grind my soft cold bones below
Your map of desire
Burned in your flesh
Even a fool can come
A strange lit stair
And find a rope hanging there
Stranger than kindness

Keep feeding the addiction
Lisa
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
TE Expert

Cool song titles

Of course the original lyrics have nothing whatsoever to do with my shot, that's part of the fun for me. Getting a picture as a mere illustration for a song title...that just sounds a bit boring, doesn't it?

So I like to wack that title out of its original context and slam it upon a shot and then see if this clash might lead to something totally new, might be thought-provoking somehow...might generate a new gilimpse of meaning somewhere. A good title does that, I feel. But then again it shouldn't be too far-fetched either. And, yep, that's a thin line sometimes.

I'm just having some private fun with this, and if it gets a handful of people thinking about this particular combination of picture and (song) title, I'm more than happy.

Funny you mention heroin and then conclude with that "feeding the addiction" line...

B

Last edited by BennyV; 03-27-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
TE Expert

Talking Thoughts provoked

Hi Benny

Hehe well consider my meagre little thoughts thoroughly provoked. I havent't done that much thinking on weekend since Sunday School

I was referring to the photographic addiction, but take it anyway you please

Enjoy your Sunday
Lisa