To Jakab: Neo-styles - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Jakab 2009-05-02 13:12

Hello Betty,
I do not really like the neo-styles. I think architecture is an authentic art only if using the technique (actual knowledge statics and materials) and expressing the general view of life of the era. It would be very easy to build a new Parthenon, for example, of steel concrete by means of moderns cranes - only absolutely senseless since the original is a proof for the human talent which was capable to create a beautiful building of hard marble even in lack of modern machines. And exactly that is why Parthenon is so valuable for the overall human culture.
But the Washington National Cathedral is an exception in my view. Not only because the architects tried to use as little modern material as possible and to follow strictly the rules of Gothic. I suspect here a sign of adherence to the European cultural roots. Finally, almost every capital has a magnificient Gothic cathedral, why just the American should be an exception, especially regarding the fact that the American architecture has already prooved so many times its talent, taste and originality.
Anyway, the photo is excellent showing equally perfectly the fine details of the (by the way beautiful) white marble carvings and the rich ornament of the wooden arches in the background.
Congratulations!
Laszlo

Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Jakab: Neo-styles

Hello Laszlo,
I appreciate this critique. I am interested in what you are saying and value very much your thoughts about art and architecture.

Thank you for your nice words about my photo. I enjoy visiting the National Cathedral and find it to be a beautiful place that makes me feel quite small and humble.

Kind regards,
Betty
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Cathedral

Hello Betty,
exactly this feeling was the goal of Gothic! And that is why Gothic churches should not be built in our century since they do not support and express the much more personal relation of modern man to God. But it is important as well that you and many Americans can experience this feeling - otherwise, among others, you could not understand the European culture, you could not imagine how our ancestors felt, thought, lived.
Have a nice weekend!
Laszlo