Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
TE Newbie

Default roofs

i think i should have posted about the roofs here. here it is again:

I agree with others about the roofs for the following reasons:

"Why would I crop the roofs? It, at least tell people something else... that I've took the picture from the ground next to small houses and not from the top of a mountain or in the airport."

I think the main reason in this case is that the roofs seem to be accidentaly part of the photo, not a deliberate compositional effort, maybe you meant to add them which is ok, to tell where you took the picture, but at least for me it seems accidental because they are too much in the corner and are too dark which is distracting in relation with the rest of the image, so i think those might be some reasons for the feedback on that.

" I and many other people on TE, don't like to see heavily post process photos with radical changes in contrast or removing wires from urban street shots."

Again it comes to composition i think, sometimes there can show up things in the photo that were not part of the composition or distract from the composition, i think it's ok to remove things when that happen, the original photo could always be posted as a ws.
In the case of wires sometimes they are part of the composition but sometimes there is only one or two wires that distract from the composition and are visually too "weak" too be part of it.

So to sum up i think both possibilities are ok, rules are not set in stone, the photo could be with or without the houses or with or without wires, but always depending on the overall composition intention, and in this case the roofs were distracting imho but it doesn't mean that it's wrong to add them, just that each case depends on how it is composed.

i hope i made sense

regards
Allen