Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 01:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: New tech feature will limit post edit time

David,
I wouldn't just assume that they do things without taking alot of things into consideration.
If my memory serves me right, there are several moderators, a few owners and some valued member that they could pull thoughts from. There is probably not just one person running this whole ball of wax and with several people, they get alot of feedback and I am sure they think of the negatives and the positives before making a decision like this.
Of course, I cannot speak for them but I know they used a committee when this all started and I have hard time believing they'd abandon that concept!

I think it's great that you are civil and haven't deleted all your photos like some have....sorrier than that, we have people sticking up for them, writing retaliatory critiques to me for disagreeing in the forums. AFTER the fact they deny it...but it's all good.

They have been reported and I can assure you they will be dealt with.

Thanks for your feedback David, you have a great weekend too!!

Scott
Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 AM

I've arrived at this forum rather late, so perhaps no one is reading it any more.

The arguments presented to support the 15 minute rule are illogical. They might be more logical (although still unsatisfactory in terms of the time often needed for reflection) if the rules stated that only 20 critiques may be written in any 24 hour period. However, since the rules allow one to post more than 20, it is patently absurd to limit the capacity to give smileys OR yellow frowns without allowing a member to return to do so the next day. It is also being assumed by the proponents of the new system that it is only 2-point green smileys that are being 'traded', as SH puts it. However, when one reaches the day's limit, the other options also become unavailable.

Kristaps' argument is unassailable. As long as 'emoticons' (smileys and frowns) are part of TE and as long as people use them, points given one day, or frowns, are not at all different from those given the next in retrospect. The system forces on members an average of 40 points per day, anyway. There is absolutely no reason to suggest this is 'trading' or 'abuse'. It could be argued that when one runs out of emoticons for the day one should simply delay writing any more critiques and leave off until the next day. But in that case I return to my first point: why not make the system inherently logical by restricting the number of critiques to the point where a member's emoticons have run out? Not that I am recommending that kind of arbitrary limit, but it would have some internal logic.

The argument that one often needs much more than 15 minutes to reflect on one's words has not been effectively rebutted. Writing a note later is not an entirely satisfactory way of redressing a poorly worded and possibly offensive critique, refining a translation into another language or adding some technical point that was forgotten; the reason for this is that the critique is the publicly presented response and not everybody reads the notes. Why should one not have the capacity to revise one's public critique? The injudicious wording of critiques has led to the considerable inflammation of passions in other forums recently.

It appears that there is an objection to 'promises' being made, as if they are made in the hope of gaining points in return overnight. I would not disagree with banning promissory statements per se, or statements that 'threaten' frownies.

My guess is that most active members of TE rarely have time to do more than 20 critiques per day and that the so called 'abuse' is hardly a widespread phenomenon. The imposition of this arbitrary 15 minute time limit is ad hoc, arbitrary, illogical and unnecessary.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Uploading new pics

Just wondering (like so many others) when I'll be able to post an upload again?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 PM

The action may seem draconian or pointless to some, but as a moderator on other sites I fully support the action. I have seen many instances where an original post has been edited to such an extent that it is unrecognisable. The end result being that replies appear stupid or totally counter to what was intended.
If people take time to compose their thoughts before posting there should rarely be any need to edit a post after it has been committed to the site.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
TE Junior Member

I hardly ever edited the critiques I posted
but when I did I usually made a couple of additions.
Most often them were a link to a photo
which I thought was worth comparing with the one I was commenting. It was not necessarily my photo.
Quite often I would link two or three photos
to each other just re-editing my posts.
I could add these links in discussions
but I'd rather have people see them in my critique.