To batalay: TE as a medium for learning..... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-01-30 6:13

Hello Ann,

How appropriate that you should post this picture and workshop at the end of a week which saw Robert Burns' birthday celebrated on Burns Night on 25th January!

I remember this place well though it's over 30 years since I last visited it. And, curiously enough, it was on that occasion that I saw my first and last "streaker" - a young fellow who jumped out from behind a tree waving his arms and shouting: it was a very cold day in November and so there wasn't a lot to see.

Anyway, I digress, as always. This is a beautiful photograph showing the burn tumbling in its course through the wooded narrow valley. I know very well how dark it can be here, so you have done extremely well to preserve some lovely light on the water, the rocks and the trees. Of course, present difficulties with TE (will they ever be resolved) stop our seeing your exif data (and I don't believe you took this at f/0.1) so I don't know your camera settings or whether you used a tripod.

Lovely soft light, gorgeous colours and excellent depth of field and sharpness.

Oh, and a lovely portrait of Robert Burns' statue too - I like his smart blue jacket and his camera - but who's that insignificant and rather stiff looking fellow on the left holding a book?

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who is suffering so many problems here on TE. I've several times written a note to accompany a picture and, when I've hit the "update" button, the picture has appeared but the note has disappeared off somewhere the other side of Andromeda. So one trick I've learned (whether writing notes or even critiques or forum messages) is to copy all the text before clicking anything - that way if you lose the whole lot you can always just paste it all back into the box and try again.

I really do hope that these problems are resolved very soon otherwise so many more of our friends will ditch this site and that, in my opinion, would be a real shame. Unfortunately nothing much seems to be improving at the moment.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To batalay: TE as a medium for learning.....

Hello Bulent,

Thank you very much for your very kind and also very interesting critique!

I don't think the slang word "clink" is quite so often used these days as I remember its being used perhaps 30 or 40 years ago, but it's interesting to find out the origins of it. My dictionary mentions that this slang term first arose in the 16th century so, you never know, it might have been William Shakespeare himself who first coined the term! After all, he was very innovative in his use of the English language and I also believe he might have been the first ever to use a noun as a verb - as in "Do not lord it over me!".

For me TE has proved to be a wonderful medium, not only for learning about photography and having the opportunity to view so many varied and beautiful images - but also for learning so much about the World in general, both by reading others' notes and critiques and even when trying to compile some sort of meaningful notes to accompany my own images.

I have also made many friends on TE (and have met over 20 of them personally) and it makes me so very sad that the seemingly unresolvable technical issues of the website are causing so many problems and are also causing so many of our friends to abandon this otherwise wonderful website. I can only think that Internet Brands must be more interested in their advertising revenues than they are in providing a stable working platform for amateur photographers to display their images and discussions - something which I suppose is quite understandable in this day and age when finances seem to drive everything.

Kindest Regards,

John.