To macjake: on the side of the road!! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2015-07-29 11:01

Hi Marc
great to see you back on TE, we need all the members we can get - as you may have heard alot of members have been leaving and not coming back.

as for the photo....Oh man...i was in Banff just a few weeks ago and i was looking for this composition....where exactly is this taken from?
do you remember the trail name or the hike name?
I'll be going back to banff again

reading your note, you endured alot of conditions to get this one, so good on ya to follow through.

love the look of the forest green colors, and the aqua colors of the water with the long exposure.

nothing to complain about here
Cheers
Craig

Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: on the side of the road!!

That was about 5 years ago, so my memories are kinda foggy. But if I recall well, that was quite easy to find. What we see at the bottom is the parking of the hotel, once you get there, you get a good view of the spot where I was standing for this photo. So take your care, go down the road toward Banff, cross a bridge (if I recall well) and then follow a street that follows the river. You'll get there easily I'm quite sure.
Now would be a good time to go as there will probably be much more water flowing than in may. When I was there, most of the lakes were still frozen and there was still quite a bit of snow in the mountains. Once that melts, the current in that river can go pretty crazy...but it stays blue-green. Pretty awesome!
Check out inasiajones photos. I believe he had a photo from the same location but with a much more powerful stream (his is much better than mine btw, obvously...).
You can go hiking pretty much anywhere you want in BC and Alberta...but to get to that spot, all you need is a car.
Also, I did not have a full frame and a wide angle zoom back in the days. That would have helped for this particular shot. Make sure you bring that and your filters. If you get a good twilight lighting and a good flow in the stream below, you are in for a spectacular shot.
Thanks a lot!