Has anyone else been having problems getting onto TE lately? - Page 12 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: ... still, there are some "normal" moments in each day

" one day the lie you believe will become true ... "

Hi, Henk…
Make that day to be today…
Tell us the truth, please…

You've switched to the Flickr, right ?

What is the advantage (besides that excellent speed you can surf the pages with) of being in Flickr as opposite to being in TE/TL ?
Tell us to the best of your judgment, buddy…
You have been on TE long enough (and active enough) to see the differences right on…

What's so special in there worthy to switch the horses in the middle of the race…?

Go ahead… Your opinion would have a real impact on some of us…

g.
……………
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 AM
TE Expert

Default the difference

for me personally, lots more Tamils there
generally
- organizing facitlities are immens, easy and fast f.i. sorting in folders by date, location, subject etc.
- tagging very effective
- searching on titles, part of text, date, tags in a second
- no artificial forced exchange contacts, reaction are as thus more reliable and friendly
- a lot more members to share and a possibility to block abuse to preserve your confort zone
- no oracles in notes or reactions, people are more themself, less discont, less complaints, a more sharing yourself
- choices to retrain piracy by optional facilities
- replacing posts by better editions without limitation
- no limitation on posts per day plus a handy posting facility with a seperate window
- easy reachable and effective administration and their requests for suggestions to improve the site, bigger staff
- people do look at more photos and not only the last post, thanks to sorting in specifique folders showing next to the photo
- no ennoying exploiting publicity by paying for a account but also limited in posts to use for free
and I suppose I could still go on ...
A consideration on the side, looking at my first photos, I shared my know-how a lot more to others then the other way around (got several editions of my hand running on TE getting up to about 200 points and more) and still helping honest members here, request for photos come a lot more from outside TE nowadays, TE eats too much your time, there is a lot more life outside TE to be yourself without any harrasment, from the start I knew that TE was not to be for ever and it empoverished my pleasure in sharing lately too much, lucky I could renew it now.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Has anyone else having problems getting onto TE definitly ?

Not lately, but definitly ....
I wanted to write a few "critiques" today and the last few days, without posting, but it took a too long time to reach my favorites in the site...
So I went to the forum to see how was the "temperature" and .......... it took a long time to open and get into the thread......... So I stayed to say I wont come back here for weeks and that the Henks point of view on the whole subject of the photographer and sharer 's life is to be read with attention.......
I am a flickr user for three years and use it as a storage to link my photos to be seen in other sites....... It goes fast, is perfect for this storage and could become as Henk is using a place to replace what I found here in sharing.
Please to the owners, modernise this site whose concept used to be the best place for sharing and friendship.... and of course Learning about the world through photography.
Jean Michel
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: the difference

tonight the TE server has been working super for the first time in a long time for me,

having said that I'm going flickr more and more because of everything Henk said, and if you participate in particular groups the overall quality of the photos you see is much higher that TE; something I disagree with what Henk said is people do still tend to look at your latest photo, even if there is a set or collection displayed next to the latest photos, Henk lists the positives, which I agree with, there are a few minor negatives:

-often people do not specify where, or when the photo was taken, as it's not required
-it is quite difficult to keep track of responses to your comments
-as far as I know there are no general, photo or travel related forums where people can voice their opinions like this forum
-there is a glut of (admittedly very well taken) macros, bugs, sunsets, flowers, super artificial looking HDRs, pets, and.... other "things" not seen on TE (nothing wrong with that, but not what we're used to here)

...and finally, yes, there is a cost if you're serious about posting lots of images, but it's only about $50USD per year if I remember correctly to get a "pro" account.

Henk, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:19 AM
TE Expert

only 24,95US dollar

- indeed less requirements which can be anticipated by groups, you can even make your own specifique groups with specifique requirements or limitations, many are there already as such, that you can select to join or not.
- about respons, contacting others is easy to follow in a seperate window sent/recieved and the RSS facilities are legio, there are so many facilities that you can chose to install as extra, not a must.
- there are forums in groups, some very animated !
- there are even people who present paintings of your photos, diversity
- there is no limitation on the size posted and at the same the option that others can see them only at 500px

a negative point is the presentation, not managable like Pbase (slow also at the moment, pity)
but a parralell site can show them all on a black background.
I don't know how they can mannage such high speed but there are less calculations to be made.

you're right Tan, there are some flawns but easy to go round
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
TE Expert

"" tonight the TE server has been working super for the first time in a long time for me, ""

Hooray !!!
For me too...
From 19:05 all the way to 19:16 ...!

I loved and cherished and cried during, and asked myself: Is it only me to be so lucky..?
The whole 11 minutes of pure, undisrupted climax and happiness..

Was it as good for you honey, as it was for me...???

Please folks, share your blue minutes with the rest of us...
Let us enoy your happy moments

g.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:53 PM
TE Expert

"Was it as good for you honey, as it was for me...???"

LOL!!!
(this gave me a good chuckle, George!)

It was superb yesterday, but today the system's been caughing now and again, and I'm not planing on anything serious... besides, after having slept only for 3 hours last night, I better be going to bed right now to ketch up.

R.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 AM

Default False dawns

Beware false dawns.
When it works, it works fine - seems very fast and flawless... for a short while, like about 11 minutes as George said.
But when it's not working it is completely dead, dead, dead.
It is 11:16am here - 2:16am GMT. I don't think TE is overloaded as most of Europe is asleep, or should be, especially Robert Janovski! I've not been able to load a page for the last half hour until now, my first attempts for the day, so who knows how long it's been dead. There are times when I think the owners have simply pulled the plug on TE, closed it down and 'flown the coop' like a bunch of chickens.

Now that I've typed this I'll probably find that it's dead again and won't upload.

I've had a look at Flickr, and despite what Henk has said it does not seem to me to quite fit the bill as a replacement for TE. There's too much other stuff going on there, and it doesn't have the concentration on specific types of photography. TE is (was?) relatively simple to set up and run. I don't find the one photo per day rule to be constrictive; this site was not intended to be a storehouse for one's photos, but a way of presenting constantly renewing pictures of all parts of the world. I was quite happy with it on the whole, despite some criticisms of the way some photos were withdrawn.

Having said that, if TE does not improve itself, Flickr at the moment seems the best, maybe the only, alternative; I looked at some others and most seem to have the purpose of selling stuff such as printing services, calendars and all kinds of stuff.

At this moment I am not hopeful that TE will ever work properly again; the owners obviously don't care.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
TE Junior Member

Default I will post more information as soon as I have it.

What to think about this words after more than two weeks without anything new? Posted by Internet Brands employee Kevin Yes at the 14th of August (Yes, this year). It is better, but still does not fit my expectation of usability.

Ten written critiques this morning in around half an hour TE time.
Some of them with no first reaction of the system after pressing the button. Time outs and next try. Love to see your captures. Still hard to write my thoughts about it.

Let me see what I think in a few days.. Ulf
Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Using a proxy set-up in my browser - seems to work better

I have discovered something strange - TE loads much more quickly when my browser (Opera) is set to use a proxy. My internet provider has a proxy that I can use, although usually it is quicker not to use it. However, without the proxy TE is just as bad as it has been for the last few weeks - I sit and watch the egg-timer for long periods. With a proxy it is working OK. Not brilliant, but OK. Still, sometimes the good old egg-timer still appears. I can't explain why this has happened, but at least I have managed to complete my quota of critiques tonight. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same experience.