Some TE statistics... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Some TE statistics...

There are maybe 100 or more threads on this forum where people empirically link the number of points one receives to the number of critiques he/she gives to other members. Although this correlation is intuitively clear, it can be proven statistically. Because the amount of critiques which are "valued" 0 or 1 points nowadays is negligibly small, we can introduce the coefficient of reciprocation (CR), which is defined as

CR = P/(2*C),

where P = number of points received by a TE member and C = number of critiques he/she has given to other members. In the hypothetical situation, when all the critiques a member gives are reciprocated, CR=1. If CR of a given member > 1, he has received more critiques than given, if CR < 1 - the reverse is true. I have made a random selection of 116 TE members, with the number of points varying from 629 to 59674, and applied some simple statistics.

I found the average value of CR to be 1.02, with 95% confidence interval 0.96 - 1.08. This means that there is a 95% probablity that the CR value of a random TE member is between 0.96 and 1.02. This is extremely close to 1 and signifies that the major TE model is indeed that people reciprocate the received critiques, as opposed to the model in which there would be two distinct groups of "givers" with CR > 1 and "receivers" with CR < 1... surprise surprise;)))

It must be noted that no significant correlation between CR values and the number of received points has been observed.

The other approach is to plot the received points against the given critiques. When I did that with my selection, I found that the linear regression model can be applied to the plot with the R-squared value of 0.88, which is again extremely high for a random selection and signifies a strong linear relationship between received points and given critiques.

Finally, I did the Student's t-test for independence and found the probability that the number of received points is independent from the number of given critiques to be less than 1*10(-19), which again shows that the correlation is highly statistically significant.

Of course, the rule is that correlation does not imply causation, but... :)
Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Some TE statistics...

sorry, the proper statement in line 13 should be:

"givers" with CR < 1 and "receivers" with CR > 1
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
TE Expert

hi Aleks.
what are you smoking!???
I don't wanna go back to school...

lol

:-))
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Well you know, I have to fill my working day with something...

;))
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
TE Expert

eheheh
:-)

good work anyway..
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
TE Expert

Interesting stat Alexander..

But you just have to interact over some time and you will sure enough 'learn the trade' without slightly advanced stat. and methods.

hmm.. I think my CR= 1.18 and of course that is a big pleasure being out of the standard deviation, gaining more than I give, that must be 'winning" (whatever that must mean...). CR >1 will probably also mean that you 'deserved' what you got - which is another popular theme in the forum, all those who get's more than deserved.

Still: We do not know WHY the CR is of very essential importance for some - and could be: Just as well...

Have a nice evening..
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM

Bonsoir Alexander,

I think I had ONE Port too much this evening - our weekend began today! - because I can't make the calculation. But it seems interesting, can you please explain again or make my calculation? ;o)))

Groetjes uit Tholen - Viviane
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
TE Expert

Aleks
i have 0.96, can you analyse me?
is it serious, doc??
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
TE Expert

That's fun, I did the calculation myself.

I'm definitly a "giver": my ratio is 61% (but it's growing since I started to look at). The pessimistic way of looking that ratio is that my photo are ugglies and nobody want to critique them... :D

Cheers,

Loc
Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Loic, you have 0.96, I have 1.03, but your pictures are far better than mine... which proves that not only points but also CR doesn't have to do anything with the quality of the pictures! Any way, as you can see most of the members have CRs which are quite close to each other, which only tells you how TE works, not "who is better"...

:)))